PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Loop. A victim of circumstances.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Unregistered
Answers: 0

Post by Unregistered »

Merlin wrote:The chain analogy presented here is relevant of a pull back.
Merlin
Exactly (it could also be a "triple haul") and if you take the time to read the whole conversation you'll see that that was the point of that clip.
Tom

Post by Tom »

What`s a triple haul?

Tom.
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

Tom wrote:What`s a triple haul?

Tom.
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tintowind.shtml
Tom

Post by Tom »

OK.
So it`s a pull-back? :D

Tom.
Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet »

yup, with the line hand instead of the rod tip. you could of course do both and even walk backwards. that would make it the equivalent of a quintuple haul :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I know I'm going to get barked at for this but I still don't see the connection. I think we're at crossed wires here! I was talking/thinking about loop propagation and how a loop in flight works (ie is there a pulling force at the loop). I didn't know we had moved on to pull back. In real world examples of pull back we actually get to see the loop move backwards before the massive line acceleration forward. I think we can all agree that's CoE in action?

Woohoo back to physics. Let me don my armoured plated codpiece.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

Paul Arden wrote:In real world examples of pull back we actually get to see the loop move backwards before the massive line acceleration forward. I think we can all agree that's CoE in action?
So you add energy by pulling on the rod leg for energy to be... conserved :oh:

But I won't follow this path again here. I know of much more pleasant ways of wasting time :D

Bye.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ever made a Snapcast without first getting the line in motion? Ie make the same experiment but without the beaker.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

Now I was arguing just the energy part of your post. :D

Believe me: I have made lots of experiments over the last four years, and although they might be considered irrelevant I have learned more from any of them than from reading 1000 posts :pirate:
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Merlin wrote:Question: what can be the relationship between the motion of a chain driven by gravity (acceleration) and the motion of a fly line travelling by speed?

Beware of analogies, the devil is in the détails.

Merlin
Hi Merlin

The fly line with initial velocity will be accelerated in the negative direction by air drag resistance like the sliding chain is accelerated in the negative direction by gravity.
The picture is of the sliding rope experiment in its free flight phase. We already have equations of motion for this situation from the Calkin II and Silagadze papers. All we need to do :whistle: is replace the gravity constant in those with the air drag variables (the proportions of form and skin drag as well as drag force changing in relation with velocity) and we've waxed the untethered cast problem! I've tried but the math requirements are beyond my abilities. I was hoping someone like you could help achieve that ;) ?

Take care,
Dirk

Return to “Flycasting”