PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Haul adjustment, when to stop rod & line hand

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not talking distance casting where the haul no doubt accelerates all the way through with enough force to retard the tip straightening. I'm talking false casting with a haul on a shorter carry. I can feel RSP because the tension disappears during the haul. Can you video yourself of a 40 ft gentle cast with hauling, Lasse?

Cheers! Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
Answers: 0

Post by John Waters »

Hi Bernd,

Would you have a clearer still of Steve's haul hand at leg position in the above sequence of stills?

Thanks,

John
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi John,
he is too fast :D
But maybe this can help?

Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

He sure is Bernd, fastest haul in the west (and the east as well). I think he has releases at that point.

Thanks,

John
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

I think John, we maybe have to take into account the speed of the haul, too.
The faster the line thru the rings is, the longer it will take to make it going opposite direction. So I think everyone has to find his best point to release the line (when it comes to distance that is).
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:I'm not talking distance casting. here the haul no doubt accelerates all the way through with enough force to retard the tip straightening. I'm talking false casting with a haul on a shorter carry. I can feel RSP because the tension disappears during the haul. Can you video yourself of a 40 ft gentle cast with hauling, Lasse?

Cheers! Paul
[vimeo]54380731[/vimeo]

Will that so, or sound I get one with markers on?

IF tension diappears doesn't that mean that your haul no longer is accelerating the line?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I think you will see Steve's haul hand open at his leg not later, because that is when it is moving fastest and the impact on the line is greatest.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hmm, difficult to pick there Lasse. It would be better to film from the other side, but it certainly appears that your haul finishes close to RSP. When casting a short line (shorter that that), with minimal force and no hard stops, my haul definitely goes through RSP, and I can actually feel the Tension change.

[QUOTE]IF tension diappears doesn't that mean that your haul no longer is accelerating the line?{/QUOTE]
Yes absolutely, beyond this it is achieving nothing apart from maybe affecting the formation of the loop. I think its purpose is to increase line speed to RSP. The way I see it, is normally, we haul through this point.

I'm curious to see you have hard stops in there. When Jon Allen came along with his second rod handle attachment, there was a difference between everyone's stops when and when not double hauling. Everyone's cast with double hauling felt "stopless". But I realise that there are many combinations. I'll try to shoot some video when out of the city later this week.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

If the sun comes out tomorrow around noon I'll shoot some casts with a shorter line from the other side and in higher speed (camera) as well.
If not it'll have to wait for sometime next week...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Mike Heritage

Post by Mike Heritage »

How do you teach or even learn to adjust haul timing, especially on distance casting? It takes takes an extraordinary caster to be able to make minute changes in haul timing. I can think of only three people I know who might be capable of it....and I'm not one of them.

The problem is not always when the haul finishes that's the problem. Release only has to be delayed a micro second and you are well into counterflex or even rsp2.

Mike
It's fly casting Jim, but not as we Know it.

Return to “Flycasting”