PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

First timer in New Zealand.

Moderator: Paul Arden

andrewparkeruk
Answers: 0

Post by andrewparkeruk »

John, TheBadger (I think) lives in NZ and can offer you much more pertinent advice.
On tippet, can I suggest you forget about Maxima and breaking strain, and start thinking about diameters and strength. Your 4lb Maxima has a 0.007"/0.18mm diameter. Stroft ABR in the same 0.18mm diameter has a breaking strain of 3.60 kg (or 7.9lb). Stroft ABR has a good reputation in NZ but is probably easier to buy at home (it is made in Germany: I buy mine direct from http://www.aspo-gmbh.de/shop).
In NZ Manic Tackle are promoting Trouthunter co-polymer http://www.manictackleproject.com/trouthunter-nylon-/ which is Japanese and almost as high a spec as Stroft ABR.
I don't want to knock Maxima totally; it is useful for towing broken down vehicles :ninja:

Hope you have a blast!
Andrew
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

7lb tippet for backcountry and lakes. Rarely 4lbs on rivers like Mataura. I'd bring in enough for the trip.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
TheBadger

Post by TheBadger »

It has been a bit of a topsy turvy season. Can't honestly say we've had much settled weather, but that hasn't prevented some fantastic fish from being caught. The West Coast is ALWAYS wet (well, it gets a lot of rain anyway). Prevailing weather patterns over here are dictated by the Southern Alps that run the best part of the length of the country. I'm far from an expert on that sort of thing, but basically a weather system hits the Alps dumping the rain on the West Coast and the hot air that continues over on the East Coast gathers a lot of wind creating the infamous Nor'Westers. This is a massive oversimplification, but basically if it's windy on the East Coast it's probably raining on the West Coast. You can almost always find good water, but you often have to choose between fighting the wind and fighting the rain. Then of course you get those all too rare perfect days.

I've been using the Frog Hair flurocarbon for the last few seasons. About the only other person I know that seems to use it is Ronan, but I've found it to be superb.

Oh, and yes I live in Christchurch, New Zealand
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think Maxima is fine, so long as you go by diameter. I'm using a material called Samurai. It's bloody good but I've only ever found it for sale in Bosnia! I'm guessing it's Japanese however :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Finn

Post by John Finn »

Thats useful Andrew, Have used Stroft before, maybe not ABR but found it too soft for big spent mayflys. Problems with twisted tippets. Still like the old Ultragreen, nice matt finish , not a big issue when towing cars, but still! Like Grand Max Soft Plus with a Pitzen knot, but this can be a bitch to tie in a hurry.
John.
jomeder

Post by jomeder »

Hi John,

I wasn't going to reply, but I've fished Maxima Ultragreen a lot here, caught lots of fish of all sizes on it. I think there's a time and place for it though. When fishing near the top or in still conditions I go for something thinner. For myself breaking strain is the first factor to consider, and then thickness, or rather limpness. Actually, the first factor is cost for me, which is why I quite like Maxima :-). I'm not sure brand and such matter too much, fish what you're comfortable with but have a couple of options for different conditions perhaps. I normally fish 6 lb, with 5 lb for trailing flies/droppers and tricky conditions. I never use less than 5 lb though. I have 10lb and 8lb for when I have an idea there might be particularly big fishes around, but I don't use it that often.

I haven't been out much this season myself, as it's been rainy in my area and I haven't much of chance to get further afield.

Regards,

Jo

Return to “Flyfishing”