PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Your favourite knot?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Your favourite knot?

Post by Paul Arden »

Isn't that typical?! Right way up on my phone, and the Mac. Upload it and it's on its side!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stevie D
Answers: 0

Your favourite knot?

Post by Stevie D »

I also prefer the Pitzen or 16/20 for tying on flies, normally for adding tippet and as long as the diameters are not vastly different I stick with a 2 or 3 turn water knot.
Steve.
John Finn

Your favourite knot?

Post by John Finn »

Hey Steve,
I also like the Pitzen. Great for light tippets . I use Orvis Superstrong 6and 7X and have found the Pitzen to be the business . Think there is a bit of an art to tying it though, if you dont get it exactly right its worse than useless especially for the light stuff. Final tightening needs to be smooth and slow to get the little click and spit of course. Used to use Knot Perfect but spit is cheaper.
For making up tapered leaders I use the greatest invention since the wheel, Roman Moser leader rings and use any knot you like.
Regards..............................John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Your favourite knot?

Post by Paul Arden »

I've started forming the Uni-knot - apparently - as part of the Slim Beauty. Does anyone else do this? And if so is it the Uni-Beauty or the Slim-Uni or a new knot altogether?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stu Jamieson

Your favourite knot?

Post by Stu Jamieson »

I gave the Eugene Bend/Pitzen a red hot go last week and it's a winner. Very easy to tie - less fiddly even that a clinch knot. What I found particularly useful is that you can use the twisted loop to snare the tag end rather than feed the tag through the loop before tightening down - seems less fiddly that way. Interesting method of tying it here:
http://www.peterhayesflyfishing.com/page19715137.aspx
I struggle to make that work, though. Maybe my fingers are just too fat.
petevicar

Your favourite knot?

Post by petevicar »

I use similar knots to Grunde.

Leader to hook - Uni Knot or Lefty's Loop for big flies with heavy tippet.

Mono to mono (thick) blood knot, thin (double surgeon)

Leader to fly line - nail knot

Pete
IANACI
skeg

Your favourite knot?

Post by skeg »

non slip mono loop
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Your favourite knot?

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that it also depends on the material you're using. I've started using a material called Samurai - I don't know very much about it, but it's fairly thin and strong, and I have a lot of confidence in its strength, but many of my usual knots simply slip. So I've started tucking all my half bloods.

Three turn water knots between different materials, specifically RIO Powerflex tapered leaders and this, slip or bust and become the weak link - which became a major obstacle in Russia with the large browns when I lost a couple of huge fish to this particular knot. Also I've had some major problems with Sufix and Tyger Wire connections for Snakehead. And so over the past 18 months I've had to revisit many of my knots, start tucking them and when necessary I've started using the Slim-beauty or variation and that's a seriously good knot for joining different breaking strains and nylon types.

I think I should start hosting knot nights instead of flytying nights. There's a lot to be learned here. Personally I like the fly knot to be the weakest link in the chain. Unfortunately it tends not to work out that way!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Zoran Marinkovic

Your favourite knot?

Post by Zoran Marinkovic »

Nice thread .
I am looking for forgotten dry (small dries) knot I used to use a long time ago.
When the knot is done , clean tippet is coming out from the hook eye , where the knot it self is actually bellow the hook eye .
I remember I use it with very tiny tippets and small, sensitive dries .
Also, I am almost sure ,this is the knot tied by Brad Pit "father" and "brother" in the Rivers Runs Through It, in the beginning and the end of the movie .
Anyone remember this knot ?
Thanks
Zoran
Zoran Marinkovic

Your favourite knot?

Post by Zoran Marinkovic »

..more help: as noted knot is bellow the eye , but with one wrap knot is fastened bellow the eye (if I can call it eye neck? )

Return to “Tackle”