PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Cormorant Invasion

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

John Finn
Answers: 0

Cormorant Invasion

Post by John Finn »

We have always had a cormorant problem in my area especially during the Winter when they target trout in the spawning streams. Really bad at the moment due to the storms. Does anybody know what was the outcome of the petition which I remember signing last year I think, which called for control of this menace . Just counted 8 on a 5k stretch of my local river early this morning. Six left, but its a loosing battle. :ninja:
John.
Will

Cormorant Invasion

Post by Will »

This is the last I heard

"Although details are yet to be fully clarified, the main features of the catchment-based system look set to include:

* an end to arbitrary national limits on numbers of birds to be shot
* three regional advisors to be appointed to support fishery managers, funded by Defra
* cormorant numbers to be assessed annually by catchment
* as long as the conservation status of the birds are not threatened, the scheme will continue annually

In his letter to the members of the Defra review group Richard Benyon made clear his determination to protect fish stocks saying:
‘We must balance how inland fisheries and aquatic bio-diversity can be protected from fish eating birds in an effective, proportionate and timely way.’

During the review process the Angling Trust published a 10,000 word ‘Dossier of Destruction’ illustrating the impact that the increase from 2,000 to nearly 30,000 of over-wintering cormorants has had on fisheries, angling clubs and rural businesses. There were 80,000 hits on the Trust’s special Cormorant Watch website recording sightings of the birds."

Worth contacting the Angling Trust for more info.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
John Finn

Cormorant Invasion

Post by John Finn »

Thanks Will, We tried the legal route here in Ireland a few years ago by trying to get a licence to cull some on a major lake. Not only did we not get a licence, but we were warned that if anybody interfered with the birds they would be prosecuted and dealt with as severely as possible.
This is not a priority for Irish politicians , so I dont think we will get the same action as you appear to have got in the UK. Think we will stick with the DIEHARD stuff for the time being.
John.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Cormorant Invasion

Post by Paul Arden »

I think something may have changed somewhere because I thought it was an EU problem, however in one of the places I fish licenses have been issued to shoot them. Has the EU position changed?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Daily Planet”