PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Gear disinfection

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Jon T
Answers: 0

Gear disinfection

Post by Jon T »

On a trip to Norway last year all gear (waders, boots, rods, reels, etc) were disinfected on arrival, this was obligatory. I totally agree with this practice. The disinfectant used was Virkon S and then all equipment thoroughly rinsed with clean water.
Naturally we all want to protect the water we fish by keeping our gear clean, but in doing so we also want to not damage our gear with the wrong disinfectant. I contacted Simms and they recommend to wash, dry, and keep gear clean but do not recommend a disinfectant.
What do you do, disinfect or just wash and keep clean?
If you disinfect what disinfectant do you use?

Jon
Marc Fauvet

Gear disinfection

Post by Marc Fauvet »

wash, rince and freeze (mostly freeze... ) :cool:
Ben_d

Gear disinfection

Post by Ben_d »

Depends what you are disinfecting against. For GS, 5% sodium chloride solution is sufficient although Virkon would be preferable. It will only damage stuff (or turn it pink) if it is used in very high concentrations, I'd use it on my waders without a second thought.

Cheers

Ben
Jon T

Gear disinfection

Post by Jon T »

Thanks for the replies gents. Marc; not sure freezing is what I would do to my gear, but understand the theory.
Ben; from what I have read so far it appears Virkon is the best option.
Many thanks
Jon
Ben_d

Gear disinfection

Post by Ben_d »

All beats on the Dee are now equipped with Virkon sprays and most are insisting on spraying before fishing to my knowledge.

Cheers

Ben
Harps

Gear disinfection

Post by Harps »

Ben,
What are they worried about infecting the Dee?

Actually- what is the threat to Norwegian rivers too?

(not doubting, I'm just curious if there is a big risk targeted or it is wide spread precaution)
Ben_d

Gear disinfection

Post by Ben_d »

Harps wrote:Ben,

(not doubting, I'm just curious if there is a big risk targeted or it is wide spread precaution)
GS is the big worry Harps. We have a lot of visiting anglers and a lot of local guys who fish Russia too so it makes sense. Honestly, canoes & other watercraft concern me more than anglers and their equipment.

Cheers

Ben
Jon T

Gear disinfection

Post by Jon T »

Harps wrote:Ben,

The same with Norway, lots of visiting anglers and prevention is better than a cure.
sms

Gear disinfection

Post by sms »

Better to be safe than sorry. The actual problem was putting stocked (from Baltic stock that is resistant to GS) fish into the rivers in Norway - and nobody had thought of GS before it started its killing spree.
The real threads are the fish caught from infected and them maybe washed/gutted/whatever in an uninfected river. Or motorhome tank filled from infected river and deained into a clean one.
Of course, if you smear infected fish's goo on your waders, keep 'em moist and go quickly to another river, rub another fish on the goo and release and you have some possibility to ruin a river.

So, it is about odds, but some people win in the lottery too. In this lottery nobody wants anybody to win thou.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Return to “Tackle”