PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

5wt. MED Distance Tournament INDOOR

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Viking Lars
Answers: 0

Post by Viking Lars »

Bernd, this would be a great and fun evetn, I think! But can you get sponsors to throw in cash for rent? My experience with sponsors (having been involved in raising prizes for the Danish championships for a number of years) is that it's hard enough to get them to throw in some gear!

As Lasse and Lee says - at least 80 meters long, and if you want the big DH-boys to join, at least 10 meters of overhead clearance. The best 5-wt casters are coming up fast on 40m (some passing them) and theya re doing so by carrying around 30, so that's the first 70m needed :-).

Lars
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Bernd, this would be a great and fun evetn, I think! But can you get sponsors to throw in cash for rent? My experience with sponsors (having been involved in raising prizes for the Danish championships for a number of years) is that it's hard enough to get them to throw in some gear!

As Lasse and Lee says - at least 80 meters long, and if you want the big DH-boys to join, at least 10 meters of overhead clearance. The best 5-wt casters are coming up fast on 40m (some passing them) and theya re doing so by carrying around 30, so that's the first 70m needed :-).

Lars
Flybye

Post by Flybye »

http://www.cardingtonstudios.com/ enough space, don,t know about the location ( nr Bedford UK) but you could run all events simultaneously in this mother
TK
VGB

Post by VGB »

They used to build dirigibles in the sheds at Cardington, the sheds are gi-huge. Any hangar wil probably do if you can get access. It might even be worth trying some of the exisiting or closed military bases to see what is available.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Ben_d

Post by Ben_d »

The rent would probably be around £800 - £1000 for the day based on us hiring four 4 hours a couple of years back at a cost of about £200 with a lot less people. This would have to be covered by any entry fees and markers for comp would have to be volunteers, only way it would work. I'd prefer to see it paid for by competitors rather than by the trade for two reasons. First would be the effort involved in trying to get one to drop enough cash, constant chasing etc, we don't have a body of here that is competent that could lobby for this so it would fall to an individual. Other point is, things like this are better for me when there is no commercial slant on it, it can put some people off who may otherwise take an interest.

If I was sure that I would get enough participants then I would look at arranging something in Aberdeen.

Cheers

Ben
DmitriB

Post by DmitriB »

Hello guys!
I usually read this board and not posting that much.
During WC in Fagernes i was talking, that in march 28.03.2015 our club will arrange Open Tallinn Cup. It is indoor competition. There will be casting sport events 1-5 and fly casting trout accuracy, trout distance, sea trout distance and maybe salmon distance, but I need to make some test casts with double handed rod. The venue is indoor futbol field in Tallinn. After visiting field and making some tests i will add more information about conditions and add some photos.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Great stuff, Dmitri! That sounds great. Count me in! Oh, and congrats for the GOLDEN one!!!

Hi Lars,
I agree about sponsors. But I have an idea of involving a university into the whole fly casting project. They will need experts to study their casting and get some film and footage stuff and therefore the goverment has to support them with money. One way. of course all this has to be done indoors.
The other one is making it attractive for sponsors to sponsor tackle and making it attractive to pay an entry fee and then fairly winning tackle.
There is always a way to make it happen!
I will see what I can do!
Thanks,
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Ben_d

Post by Ben_d »

Hi Bernd,

Thing is, regarding tackle sponsorship... I can't speak for everyone else but I don't enter events for prizes, cash maybe would be a draw but not any sort of tackle really. Many folk will sell tackle prizes, most manufacturers know that and in my experience, that makes it hard to get anyone to donate. Also, most manufacturers are not really interested in the whole distance thing other than a few of the smaller niche companies.
If the comp was going to be good I would make the effort to be there. I'd rather pay a little more for entry fee and have the comp support itself.

Cheers

Ben

Cheers

Ben
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Ben_d wrote: I'd rather pay a little more for entry fee and have the comp support itself.
Personally I prefer this one either.
Anyway I will check what I can do over here.

Thanks again for input.

By the way what we did on the German Fly Festival (casting contest) in order to avoid people to give away their prizes: Everyone was allowed to make his/her decision, which prize to take. That worked well. Much better as if I would have tied every single prize to a certain rank. Ok, in the end there was only one prize left... But at least the top ranks can choose the among the best prizes. Feedback was quite great on that procedure.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Prinsviggo

Post by Prinsviggo »

What distance is considered really good for an indoor competition these days? I've picked up training again an ask out of pure curiosity.

Cheers, Staffan

Return to “Flycasting”