PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

British Team

James9118
Answers: 0

British Team

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote:We will of course run a selection competition should the number require it - as well as train hard together.

Cheers, Paul
Playing devil's advocate here - when you say 'we', what remit do you have to select a British team? (I say this knowing full way that selection won't be necessary given the low number of interested casters).
Lasse Karlsson

British Team

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Ben_d wrote:Another way of looking at this, wouldn't it be nice to take on Norway and win on their home turf......

On that note, back to the river :)

Cheers

Ben
You've had three chances... It will be quite a while before WC is held in Norway again...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

British Team

Post by Paul Arden »

Ha ha. I can see why GB never manages to put together a decent team in anything! I'm looking to take our numbers from three to six. We have a lot of catching up to do and this will be a start.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Hamish

British Team

Post by Hamish »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:.. It will be quite a while before WC is held in Norway again...
Where are they being held next then Lasse?
Paul Arden wrote:Ha ha. I can see why GB never manages to put together a decent team in anything!
What? Like international competition tiddly winks? Come off it Paul, that's a wee bit heavy on the amateur dramatics front isn't it?
Paul Arden wrote: I'm looking to take our numbers from three to six. We have a lot of catching up to do and this will be a start.
And that's great, more power to your elbow :pirate: There is a limited number of folk likely to make up that team of 6 (or more, looking at team entries this year) so it makes sense to include rather than exclude the possibility of their competing.

You've been there, competed and have developed a taste for the flavour where (most of) the rest of the potential British team have not. Admittedly most of the folk who are likely to make up the team do frequent (or are familiar with) Sexyloops, but that does not mean a British team should necessarily be 'Team Sexyloops'.
I am confident there are up and coming (and existing) world class casters out there in Britain who do not 'walk this board' who are worthy of inclusion, if you want the team to be competitive and representative then they need to be attracted to the concept. It also needs to be a team who will work with each other as a group and not a number of individuals who have simply got together because they couldn't get into the tiddly winks team.

I don't consider myself a World class caster as I know my faults.... I'm a lazy barstool who is reasonably handy/lucky with a rod without much (or any) practice, but that could change with something to aim for. There may be others.
However, with a young family to support (no pun intended!) I know that currently I could not commit to traipsing down to the middle or south of England more than maybe once a year, perhaps other potential team members have the same issues?
So perhaps how and where folk get together needs to be investigated further. Perhaps this needs to be discussed off the board by all the interested parties who could make the team.... or not. I'm not adverse to discussing these things.

Are wild card entries allowed at the Worlds? Must go look at the rules....... :ninja:

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
Paul Arden
Site Admin

British Team

Post by Paul Arden »

Absolutely Hamish. You could have competed at all three of the previous world championships. Why didn't you? It doesn't matter why not. But one thing that Lee and I realised last time was that we need a larger team. There are benefits to this. Now for some reason this pisses people off who've never been in the team or made the effort to travel to the World Championships. Quite frankly some people just like being pissed off! I'm not interested in that, only putting together a strong committed team that can travel to the worlds wherever they are and take medals. (They have to take medals because I need to find sponsorship). And yes my main motivation behind this is because I would like to start winning gold medals. And if other team members do too then fantastic. That's even better! It's not politics, it's not Sexyloops (!), it's about being more competitive on the platform.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Hamish

British Team

Post by Hamish »

As an individual I've never felt I've been good enough, as part of a team that would work together I could be.

That's an honest answer Paul.

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
Paul Arden
Site Admin

British Team

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry I was editing my post there Hamish :p The reason for the strength training is that once the wind luck is taken out of the equation then it's very apparent that it matters.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
stesiik

British Team

Post by stesiik »

Hi Bart!
Hi Stefan,

Can you tell us what the Norwegians are up to?
I see that they are very active, arranging training sessions, getting access to training venues and so on. I see more "after WC-activity" than I´ve seen before.
I sure hope that it is still possible to be competitive for the man going at it alone.
It will be hard to get some coaching and stuff here in Holland.
If you need/want that you should become the coach and arrange the stuff! :cool:

Best regards
Stefan
Lasse Karlsson

British Team

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Hamish

Rumour has it England ;)

After the first one, no one took up the gauntlet to arrange the next one, at the second one, the norwegians said they didn't want to do it again, it is much better if it moves out to another country, gives it more Credit. This year it was supposed to be in England, and that fell through, and it was a last minute decision that it was again in Norway, so next time I hope the brits gets it together and arrange it, otherwise I don't know where and if at all there will be one....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

British Team

Post by Paul Arden »

I sincerely do hope we can host it. We have a few options and we have a meeting in two weeks (as part of the team weekend). Lots to discuss.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”