PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

170 style

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

170 style

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

James9118 wrote:Incidentally, how much arc do people think is the minimum required to deliver a 120ft cast, for example with a MED and TCR#5 combo?
Hi James,
Bart de Zwan was casting the 5wt. TCR and the 5wt. MED in the video below. Don't think I have seen anyone using a smaller arc for such a distance.
I remember that Paul and I had a chat about Bart posting a very first video saying he was casting 120 feet in it. Paul and I agreed that this was hard to believe by what we saw in that video. Then I met Bart and he just did it :).

123° delievery arc (124° & 128° on Steve Rajeff using a stiffer rod in Norway)
Bart was casting with Steve before and pretty much tried to copy his relatively small arc.
I think 120-130° is a very narrow arc for a 120feet cast with that outfit.
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
chris09

170 style

Post by chris09 »

Hi Bernd

Can you estimate how much line he is carrying and how much line he is shooting to achieve that distance with that casting arc?
Bernd Ziesche

170 style

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:It's damn hard to hit the ground with the rod...
Hi Lasse,
just take a softer rod and your tip will counterflex further down. Using my 8wt. Z-Axis on the 5wt. MED it is not that easy to hit the ground. Using my 6wt. Streamdance I hit the earth many times when starting to learn the "170". I remember Paul at that time said to hit the earth in many casts, too.
Also depends on the height for your final rod hand position during the back stop.

Hi Chris,
nope I can't. But Bart had maybe the most impressive carry I yet have seen. I am sure he had longest carry of all those casters (I have seen) using a similiar arc or a even some wider.
I remember he could carry 25m of fly line (line hand to line end) with ease into a very strong (stormy) tailwind. The line was cut at that length (Highwater of Guideline). There was space for further carry.
A lot of great casters tried that outfit (was mine) and no one ever came close to Bart's carry at that time (some years ago).
Greets
Bernd
Lasse Karlsson

170 style

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:It's damn hard to hit the ground with the rod...
Hi Lasse,
just take a softer rod and your tip will counterflex further down. Using my 8wt. Z-Axis on the 5wt. MED it is not that easy to hit the ground. Using my 6wt. Streamdance I hit the earth many times when starting to learn the "170". I remember Paul at that time said to hit the earth in many casts, too.
Also depends on the height for your final rod hand position during the back stop.
Hi Bernd

Yeah if I go down with my hand hitting the ground is easier, but that is a bit away from sending the line above horisontal for a long carry... How many rodtips did you break?

Hi Chris,
nope I can't. But Bart had maybe the most impressive carry I yet have seen. I am sure he had longest carry of all those casters (I have seen) using a similiar arc or a even some wider.
I remember he could carry 25m of fly line (line hand to line end) with ease into a very strong (stormy) tailwind. The line was cut at that length (Highwater of Guideline). There was space for further carry.
A lot of great casters tried that outfit (was mine) and no one ever came close to Bart's carry at that time (some years ago).
Greets
Bernd
Was that on Sunday you shot that clip?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
chris09

170 style

Post by chris09 »

I shudder to think what he might achieve if he widened his arc a bit further.

His style seems really effortless - a very impressive and unique caster.

I don't like the sound of the softer tip counterflexing closer to the ground. It's a good job I have 2 soft tip Shakespeare Odyssey's in my armoury :whistle:
Lasse Karlsson

170 style

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:
James9118 wrote:Incidentally, how much arc do people think is the minimum required to deliver a 120ft cast, for example with a MED and TCR#5 combo?

123° delievery arc (124° & 128° on Steve Rajeff using a stiffer rod in Norway)
Bart was casting with Steve before and pretty much tried to copy his relatively small arc.
I think 120-130° is a very narrow arc for a 120feet cast with that outfit.
Greets
Bernd
Hi Bernd

How far was Steve casting with those arcs?

Cheers
Lasse

Bernd Ziesche

170 style

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Lasse,
I can't remember, if I shot that clip on Sat or Sunday. I do remember he was on 36,8 within these casts that day (almost no wind at atll in that moment).
About his carry on my outfit... that was on the fly fair a year after GFF.

Steve mostly was casting further than 120feet with those casts. But it was while having a tailwind as you know.
In all videos (not only Norway) I have of him his arc seems to be pretty consistent for the final shoot.
Greets
Bernd
Sasse

170 style

Post by Sasse »

All those guesses about length with different methods is pretty useless when its outdoor. Just my two cents :)

It would be very interesting to se the same casters indoors and measure the lengths.
Do or do not, there is no try
Lasse Karlsson

170 style

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bernd

Then it was on Sunday where we had a breeze, neither of us passed 120 on Saturday, and Bart hit 37 something on Sunday, barstool :p

Cheers
Lasse

Sasse

170 style

Post by Sasse »

Depends on the wind :)
Do or do not, there is no try

Return to “Flycasting”