PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pull-back

Moderator: Torsten

gordonjudd
Answers: 0

Pull-back

Post by gordonjudd »

I've never heard of Haun, what impact do vertical drag forces have on the loop?
Vince,
My mistake, it was Hendry, not Haun.

Study his analysis on the old board and I think it will answer your question. It is not a short answer.

Gordy
VGB

Pull-back

Post by VGB »

Gordy

I think that the relevant parts are missing, the analysis jumps from page 68-74 and neglects the vertical drag explanation.

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
gordonjudd

Pull-back

Post by gordonjudd »

I think that the relevant parts are missing
Vince,
I tried to PM a .pdf copy of Hendry's analysis to you, but it was too large to send.
Gordy
Lasse Karlsson

Pull-back

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote:
Merlin wrote:
Distance casters look to delay/slow the turnover of the line (so the distance shot goes up). They do this by casting with overhang. I'm therefore suggesting that perhaps the the rotational speed in the loop decreases as the heavier line enters (thus maintaining angular momentum). This would result in the line taking longer to roll out straight. The other hypothesis, (loop morphing tighter to maintain angular momentum) suggest that loop propagation speed would be unchanged.

Paul, Lasse - any thoughts on this?

Cheers, James
Hi James

I'm not sure we can actually delay anything, unless releasing early and using the right amount of overhang is considered delaying the turn over :D

I hadn't thought about the rotationel speed slowing when heavier line enters the loop, you could be right. I was out today, and tried to make your line, unfortunatly I couldn't find any 8 wt lines with 40 feet that aren't my competition heads, and those I'm not cutting down ;) So I had to go with 33 feet of 8 wt spliced toegther with a DT 5 where I cut of the front taper. The point of failure was my ability to carry a long line. I ended up at 51 feet of overhang outside the tip, before my skinny arms ran out of juice, and I didn't get any line failure, must repeat with the taper still on. But it felt like it took forever for the line to roll out, now I didn't time it or film to be sure to be sure, so that's something to do next time.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Pull-back

Post by James9118 »

Hi Lasse,

Great stuff. Can you clarify where the taper was? Was it on the back of the #8 i.e. acting like a rear taper on a WF? You'd be dangerous with muscles :D

Cheers, James
Lasse Karlsson

Pull-back

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

No taper on the back of the 8wt. Blunt end. And No taper on the 5wt. where I joined it to the 8wt.

The 5 is a DT where I cut of one front taper, will try and attach the end of the 8wt. there for kicks :D

You might have a point ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
crunch

Pull-back

Post by crunch »

Perhaps this video has aleady come up here in SL forum but there is a slow motion of a snap phase where happens the line loop speed incease when the line loop fly leg shortens.

https://vimeo.com/175139942
crunch

Pull-back

Post by crunch »

I think the effect to the line loop is the same the late pull back does!

Esa
Walter

Pull-back

Post by Walter »

crunch wrote:Perhaps this video has aleady come up here in SL forum but there is a slow motion of a snap phase where happens the line loop speed incease when the line loop fly leg shortens.

https://vimeo.com/175139942
Is it because the fly leg shortens or is it because the front taper enters the loop?

Good video. It appears that under some conditions the loop and fly leg accelerate when the rod leg is stationary, i.e., the rod leg is not being shot or pulled back and we know this because the rod leg is on the water. since we don't always see this pronounced of a difference the question would be why we see it here.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
VGB

Pull-back

Post by VGB »

Walter wrote:
crunch wrote: Good video. It appears that under some conditions the loop and fly leg accelerate when the rod leg is stationary, i.e., the rod leg is not being shot or pulled back and we know this because the rod leg is on the water. since we don't always see this pronounced of a difference the question would be why we see it here.
This also happens in Aitors DN video but the forward movement doesn't occur until the rod leg hits the ground.

https://vimeo.com/11936348
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting Physics”