PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

First Aussie Comp

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

First Aussie Comp

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
  So its all finished now, the boys are still casting now ACCURACY . It wasnt a super competition as there were only 7 guys compeating and they did it more for the club, then for love of casting ( a lot of old blokes). Im not super with accuracy as distance is my thing, so I dont worry about it.
  My last comp was 4years ago, so little stress was present, but lets cut the excuses- this is how it went.
Conditions- it was cold and almost no breeze at all- little blow here and there.
I was casting as a secend caster, so preasure was on, as you dont know who you casting against, and how good they are. I know I have to do my best regardless, but it sucks to be right on the begining.
  1 guy beat me with 21cm, it was his first time ever- beginer luck, or he just got the wind blow or something, but he beat me and thats the end of the story.
  Anyway, It is important to compeat.
 In practice all sweet, but once I was on the platform my knees where shaking , and my fucking line had 3 tangles going through the guides, and once backing get massive tangle, that cost me 30sec. Never happend before- lucky me!!!!!
  Well, the technique is there, so its important to train your brain and train how to use to the preasure even in such a small comp.
Then we were casting ST 27G( my set uo with 50' head) and I was more relaxed , and won this one.
Well all over now, and it feels good.

There was a guy making pictures and some short videos. Once I put my hands on it I will post it here.

Cheers
Mike
Attachments
20170611_122711-1200x1600.jpg
Graeme H

First Aussie Comp

Post by Graeme H »

I wouldn't call a 36m cast beginner's luck. :D

Anyway, I'm glad you got to compete again Mike. Nothing wrong with coming second. There are no comps over this side of the country to even test myself against others.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Michal Duzynski

First Aussie Comp

Thanks Greame
I have grown in enviroment where SECOND IS ALWAYS THE FIRST LOOSER( maybe its wrong, but it is what it is), I dont do much, I do few things in my life and I want to them at best.

Cory, the guy with longest cast, he said it was a firsr time he had this set up in his hands, and trust me watching him casting was nothing like watching the top guys ( John Waters, if you reading it, pls dont get me wrong). Loops and stroke was all over the place, and with a bit of blow, and standing on the platform it could be luck. He won, yes but I think I know what his additional advantage was. He came here to have fun, and not think about comp, he was relaxed and cool and the things came together.
Me DUMP ARSE, hours of practice, and getting overexited over such a small event put me down. Yes I tried to proove Im the top, but it went wrong. I have to learn how to deal with emotions.

P.s
Im not wingging, or hitting my chest because I came second. Im having a very chill out (as on the picture) constractive critisism over my performce and learn a bit from it.
Cheers
Mike
Attachments
20170611_161830-1200x1600.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

First Aussie Comp

Post by Paul Arden »

Great performance Mike! That's the great thing about competitions, we've got to be prepared to lose as well as win.

How to hold it together in competition, is a great question because we all blow it too. And of course changing conditions don't help!

The question is not really about winning either, because it's possible to win but have a crap performance so the real question is are you happy with your casts?

I actually quite like competing first; I don't like all the hanging around :) I think what you need is some casting friends who you can compete against regularly. That's the best way to learn to throw your best in competition.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

First Aussie Comp

Thanks Paul
Casting mate- defenetly
Happy with my performance- not quite- I know I could do much better, but 4min is gone- done&dusted- results are set.

Now, there comes the platform. How do you guys deal with it. Platform size 1.5m x 1.5m.
I made a mistake in Italy few years back as I strip my line on the tarp sheet under the platform. I knew I blew it back there, so this time the line went on a side of the platform. Me on the edge of the platform- and I must tell you that I would cast better from the ground as I would be more confident with my body movement, when I was on the edge of the platform I was afraid to let myself go as I normaly do. I watch my body swing and where Im ending instead tho focus on cast.
Line wise, stripping line next to me on the platform had to be in small coils- maybe this is why I had tangles in the line. But knowing from past, that stripping line under your feet , down the platform slows down the loop, as the running line ( whatever it weights) has longer distance to travel to the first guide and keep the momentum of the fast unroling loop.
How do you deal with small casting platforms?
John Waters

First Aussie Comp

Post by John Waters »

Interesting report Michal. It was the first of what I hope is many in Australia. You're right about a few old guys but hey, without them there would have been no competition. They competed for the love of casting and some have been supporting casting in this country and doing so since the 70's, the others for shorter periods but they are at every event in this country win, lose or draw. Hope we can all compete and support our sport when we are their age. None of them had cast that gear before and they were first to say, "I'll have a go at this new (for them) type casting when I first established the event late last year. The atmosphere was definitely not like a world, national or state championship, more like a club atmosphere but you have to start somewhere and today was as good a place to start as anywhere.

Having said that I know what you mean. Thank you very much for helping them by allowing them to use your gear, and the advice you offered, very much appreciated. Congratulations on your three results, you did well. I particularly enjoyed watching you and Corey cast. It was Corey's first time with the light line gear, although he has cast the ICSF distance events many times before. I am sure with some practice and coaching he will get used to the less dense 5 weight line and the fact that it is a variable length challenge, but his haul is super and that got him his results. Look forward to competing against you in 2018.

How about organising a day in Queensland next year? All you need is a tape, 4 witches hats and a field. Don't worry about the platform, I'll cast off the ground. At my age, I would not be able to get on and off a platform and then try and cast over 25 metres in the period between.

Good to catch up in the daylight,

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

First Aussie Comp

Post by Paul Arden »

Platforms are always interesting. I made the mistake in one WC of putting the line just over the front of the platform, which cost me a position in the finals. I should have put the line on the platform. But it doesn't sound like you had the room for that. I'm very careful not to strip the line on top of itself, and the first few strips I place to to right side. I've noticed some putting all the line this side - you really have to work out what's best for you and then have a formula. I usually strip two right, two front left and then make double strips working my way to behind me until the line reaches my pickup point.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

First Aussie Comp

Post by John Waters »

Today we used an ICSF platform Michal. I expect that next year in Cumbria we will have platforms with a much larger surface area to accomodate the 5 weight line that will be "shot".

John
Michal Duzynski

First Aussie Comp

Hi John
It was nice to see you again, and your casting. Please dont get me wrong, and I dont mean to be disrespectfull to anybody saying old blokes, or any of my comments that are YUUPPPI THAT WAS AWSOME. After I came back to my apartment the airline send me an email that my fight was cancelled and I will be departing Melbourne 5pm instead 9am. That is not good at all.

Competition wise- yes thats true I expected a bit more (maybe too much) especialy when puting SOUTHERN CROSS CHALLENGE in facebook browser, but as you said we have to start somewhere.
You scared me when you said, it will be only 4 guys casting and explained me why- lucky we had 7.

I would love to host something like this in Brisbane, but I dont think many would put time and spend money on flights, cars, accomodation to cast for few hours in the park.

Well all done now.
Thank you John, and hopefully see you in the UK August next year.
Cheers
Mike
Ulrik

First Aussie Comp

Post by Ulrik »

Hi Mike,

Congrats on the competition. Nice to see the sport developing in Australia.
Don't be disappointed about your results. It sure is tricky to get everything right within the 4 minutes you are competing (that's why I always participate in all events, I might mess up some, but then I might surprise my self positively in some other).
I read Brisbane, Queensland, somewhere in the thread. That sounds very interesting. I have several collaborators at the University of Queensland and is hoping to go over there not to far away in the future. Would be nice if we could have a shoot out and share some tips & trix.

A comment on the plat form. I don't know if you have written your Australian rules in stone yet but my suggestion is that you don't want to have it written in your rules that there must be a platform (except perhaps for 18 foot spey). If you want the sport to spread and be convenient to practice and to arrange competitions it makes life a lot easier if this can be done without a plat form, e.g. on a grass field or an indoor sports hall. That does not exclude the possibility to use platform if you wish, e.g., on water, but making it a rule will complicate things. Just a thought.

Best
Ulrik
Previous SL user name The Doc (now Ulrik). For those having difficulties pronouncing my name, Baldric or Oilrig works fine too./Ulrik Röijezon

Return to “Casting Sport”