PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

First Aussie Comp

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

First Aussie Comp

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Urlik, and thank you.
You in Brisbane, that would be awsome. I live 5min from the university. Make sure you let me know.
Like John said It was first time event like this with light line and floating shooting head, but I hope more of this type events will happen. I might acctually start pushing something on forums- nothing to loose.
Yes Ive learned the lesson, that compeating is a very important factor here. I feel hunger now, I would love to cast again next week, and week after. Australia its a huge country , and if some comps are on its around 1000km away :p :p .

Back to platform, I think everybody ( me for sure) thought that casting from platform will send loop higher ( obvious) and in the same time unroling time will be longer and loop will travel further. With very still air it was actually oposite. Guys aimed high, but without a lot of speed in the loop which travels 45° upwards- once it hits the end of unroling it fals back badly. You could see part of line on 28m, bit the fly landed on 24m.
Its only casting for some, but for guys who are really into it there is a lot of bits and pices to watch for, a part from hiting it hard.

One more very ineresting thing- ITS ALL ABOUT FINAL TURNOVER, so many beautifull loops during flascasting, most of the guys had fantastic loops- final hit time, all goes nowhere.

Ok let push Brisbane
Mike
John Waters

First Aussie Comp

Post by John Waters »

I'll certainly be in Cumbria next year Michal. I enjoyed getting a few to go yesterday, seeing that knot in the rod is good but as I explained I'm on a 1:4 ratio at the moment. Speed, trajectory and loop shape need a lot of work in my case but my priority has been ICSF events but after September this year, the ICSF gear gets put away and all training till August 2018 will be for trout accuracy, trout distance,sea trout distance and salmon so I will aim at improving these 3 drivers and my ratio. I have two very competitive objectives the next 12 months, one here and one overseas and time will tell if I am good enough to achieve them. If I fail it certainly will not be for want of time and commitment, purely a lack of talent

The reason for the high trajectories you saw yesterday was one difference in technique between the ICSF 38 gram distance and the trout distance/sea trout distance. Easily changed to have three trajectories and that gives flexibility in different conditions.
Was very interesting to compare my trout distance rod and my sea trout distance rod with the rods you use. Major differences in action and the rod set up.

I have a lot of work to do but was encouraged with my casting yesterday, maybe there is a little fight left in the old this old dog.

Again thanks for coming down, super commitment and reflective of your support for our great sport.

John
David Gianfaldoni
Answers: 1

First Aussie Comp

Post by David Gianfaldoni »

Hi Mike,
Congratulations, great result!!!
And with your passion you will surely improve.
Cheers
david
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

First Aussie Comp

Post by Paul Arden »

Everyone gets nervous. I've never seen so many nervous people as at the last World Championships. And blowing it too. I blew the accuracy (I'm not very good at it) but my first two rounds were abysmal - I ticked on the first cast FFS. But hell, Chris was seeing red just before me and was unhappy with his performance... mind you he was still in pole position by the end of the heats and I was out the finals!

I have to say however - I like it! I like the nerves and quite frankly I think it's one reason we do it. Sometimes we even throw our best because of it.

Many years back, before I was into the competition casting, I did a lot of "grandstand casting" - teaching to an audience of anything up to 1000 people. I remember the first big one I did, I was shitting myself for fully 6 months before! One thing for sure, it gets easier!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

First Aussie Comp

Post by James9118 »

I remember the first time I got into the final of the saltwater comp at the CLA gamefair - in front of a big crowd I was asked to make a cast so the guys working the measuring theodolite could check their focus etc. I went on to throw the most hideous tailing loop I, and everyone watching, have ever seen :D :D :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

First Aussie Comp

Post by Paul Arden »

Did they measure it? :???:

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

First Aussie Comp

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote:Did they measure it? :???:
Wrong coloured fluff apparently.
Michal Duzynski

First Aussie Comp

There is something and I love it. I want to do it again and again.
Now little break and back to practice.
Once the video is put together I will post it here.
Cheers
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin

First Aussie Comp

Post by Paul Arden »

Why don't you start the Brisbane/Queensland Fly Casting Club and then have interstate competitions? You've also got a couple of fishing clubs going. What's Jacko up to?

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

First Aussie Comp

Spot on Paul, this is what I did.
First thing during long waiting for my flight, I started a thread on Aussie forum with a nice long post explaning what Im after.
I think if this could be done in Melbourne with 7 casters, why it can be done in Brisbane???

I got very good feedback and support if my idea. There is guy call Jason and he said he would travel long way to photograph and report the whole event- beauty.
I guy told me he already ordered 5MED- made my day.
2 members from 2 Brisbane clubs will bring the idea in the next club meeting.
I man said, let me get in touch with Jacko, and Jacko ( no in Sydney), and Jacko said yes, and he also said he would bring another well known name in Aussie distance- level is rising.

Yep so this is what I got 2 days after posting the idea- I will wait for an answer. If we have 10-12 casters, I think we should book a date, and I will be full power on it.

P.s
Not to scare people, and make it more interesting for them I thought to make it as a SHOOTOUT.
-5wt
- 27g head
-Bonefish setup with 7wt
- GT, or 12wt line

Things for everybody, me as I have my 2 events for worlds
and tropical staff for Aussies who go a lot to tropical destinations, and cant ( sometimes) hook up a GT because is to far.

That is my plan, for one of the spring days in September

Cheers
Mike

Return to “Casting Sport”