PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fishing by motorcycle

Moderator: Haggisboy

Neil Owens
Answers: 0

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by Neil Owens »

So TZ's touring Scandinavia by bike (nice R1200GSA there) so I thought I'd throw some pics of my own, as quite a few don't believe I can pack everything on a bike (where do you put your waders type questions)

So, here I am -

Fishing stuff in the right pannier, camping stuff in the left and food and sundries in the top box.

I made a custom rod holder from some 2" tube - welded one end shut and use a nifty drain bung as a stopper in the other end. All secured with some stainless pipe clamps. Quite secure from casual thefts too.

I'm kinda tempted by a tarp and a lawson hammock, but it's not significantly smaller than the tent but storing the bike gear so it doesn't get damp is much more easily done in a tent.
t.z.

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by t.z. »

Nice. Feels like need to follow up with a detailed FP ... stay tuned.

I like your tent Neil. I learned that tents which stand on their own without pegs are the best. I am trying a Lawson Hammock right now. Brilliant, as one is not dependent on having a nice and flat spot to pitch the tent.
Neil Owens

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by Neil Owens »

But bike gear? - jacket, trousers and helmet. They're bulky and potentially wet - do you just leave them under the hammock?

And yes - the tent is a Vaude Mk2 so stands alone without pegs.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by Paul Arden »

It's a great hammock. Tent more for emergencies!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden wrote:It's a great hammock. Tent more for emergencies!
:O :O :O :O
t.z.

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by t.z. »

Neil Owens wrote:But bike gear? - jacket, trousers and helmet. They're bulky and potentially wet - do you just leave them under the hammock?

And yes - the tent is a Vaude Mk2 so stands alone without pegs.
For real heavy rain I wear a rain cover so the regular MC clothing stays dry, even though it is waterproof. However, most of the waterproof clothing will get wet eventually and so get cold. It also adds visability ... I look like a big easter chicken with it though. I carry several pairs of gloves. Those are soaked even though the hands are dry.

Helmet is never a problem.

The boots I wear are really heavy - BMW GS Pro Mk2 - I like the protection they offer. However, they are not waterproof so I wear waterproof socks in them. Brilliant invention which I have started to use in the wading boots when not wearing waders.

I bought a large tarp (4x3m) which I set up as a roof over the whole camp. That way I can stand under a roof. much better than a tiny tent. When I do not set up this roof I wrap the cover around the gear which I set aside.

The bag I use is a Ortlieb 89l watertight bag. I ta can fit almost everything. The panniers I use for food and MC gear. Roadside (left on my bike when in mainland Europe) is a large, insulated foodbag and the camerastuff.

On the right side (the one not facing the road) there is all the MC related stuff like raincoat, extra gloves, pump, jogging shoes etc.

The large yellow Ortlieb (Touratech sells them too) bag is across and fastened with bungee cords.
t.z.

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by Paul Arden »

I never let myself drive a motorcycle. Off-road would be different of course :p

You must get a great sense of feeling while travelling and loving the ride?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by t.z. »

yes, it is very different. One is very aware of the nature around. During a night I drove through Sweden / Finland up to Tromsø. I couldn´t stop driving ... it was too good so I went 1250km during the bright night. I guess that says it all ... ;-) - I am crazy ;-)
Mangrove Cuckoo

Fishing by motorcycle

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Great fp tz!

Not boring at all.

It's much the same thought process whether hiking, canoeing or, apparently, fishing/camping via motorcycle.

It is all about carrying what you need with limited storage space. Takes quite a bit of thought and practice... like something else we all seem to appreciate.

I also think it is a wonderfull way to determine what we basically need, what we feel is true luxury, and what is just fluff!

I have to assume you have read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"???
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Manshit”