PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

WC Accuracy Rules

James9118
Answers: 0

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by James9118 »

The rules for accuracy include the following:

Type of cast: Overhead cast is the only type of cast allowed. Adjusting the length of the line outside the top ring can only be done while false casting.
When starting, the caster must hold the fly in hand, and the length of the fly line outside the top ring can not exceed the length of the rod.

As I read this it is perfectly allowable to strip the line off the reel before commencing casting (as the amount of line outside of the tip ring is not changing). Is this how others see it?

Thanks, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

Yes I believe so. It's also permitted to drop the line behind you and strip off. However you can only do this after the timer has started and not before.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Michal Duzynski »

In Melbourne they told me to reel it back and strip of the reel while falsecasting.
Mike
John Waters

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by John Waters »

You were incorrectly advised In Melbourne Michal, that is the ACF rule not the WCFFG rule.

John
Lasse Karlsson

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Thanks John, can I quote you on that the next time I'm told to start with the line on the reel?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Thanks John.
But once you start your first false cast then you can strip even 90' under your feet before you hit the first target, then you shorten and extend your line between the targets with whatever line you have at your feet. Is that correct?
Mike
James9118

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by James9118 »

The reason I ask is because I remember seeing Maxine and the US team stripping the line from the reel whilst false casting at the last WCs. Perhaps they're used to doing this because of other competitions the enter though? I was practising at the weekend and it made sense to me to count 'strips' before commencing false casting (but after the clock has started).

It is also evident that there are the rules and the 'unwritten rules'. I couldn't find anything about dropping the line behind the casting court but I've seen this done in competition.

James
John Waters

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by John Waters »

G'Day Gents,

I believe rules should be framed such that there is no interpretation that may impact a caster or group of casters.

To me the rule quoted is specific, line can be stripped from the reel after time on is called with or without false casting. Whichever strategy you choose, your time is running. If that needs to be changed or made more specific then authorities will need to do that before the '18 WCs.

Lasse, sounds to me you got an incorrect instruction when a judge instructed you to only strip line from the reel whilst false casting. That is a common rule in some countries e.g. Australia but that does not override the WC rules.

The only reference to throwing the line behind you is when an issue occurs and the caster needs to take some remedial action after time on is called.

I would always advocate stripping line off the reel whilst false casting your initial line and leader length only, best for strip casting.

That's correct Michal but the rules allow you to strip prior to false casting, as long as your time has started.

John
Lasse Karlsson

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi John

Nowhere in the rules does it state that line can only be stripped of the reel after time has started, thats where my problem lies...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by John Waters »

Sorry Lasse, misunderstood your post and situation. In your case did the judge ask you if you were ready i.e. line on reel, fly and rod length of line in hand, and if you stated yes he called "start" and started the time?

John

Return to “Casting Sport”