PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the bord Fredrikstad, Norway

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Merlin
Answers: 0

Post by Merlin »

how can the rod be bent during a cast?
Dag,

The answer was in my post:
Without hauling, the force at tip pulling on the line (line mass * line acceleration) equals the force deflecting the (spring of) the rod (rod stiffness * rod deflection).
Anytime you accelerate the line you deflect the rod. This is valid for the cast and the haul too.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Dag Midtgard

Post by Dag Midtgard »

Thanks Merlin! Very much appreciated...
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Dag

I see you deleted a post about rod loading. I use loading and unloading, it just sounds better that than deflecting and undeflecting (if this one exists). I do not think there is an official term in physics, if so I forgot it since my scholarship.

The rod stores elastic energy as it is loaded by the cast and this energy is given back to the line after "unloading" (neglecting some unavoidable losses).

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Dag Midtgard

Post by Dag Midtgard »

Merlin, I deleted it in order to refrase my question...
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Dag Midtgard wrote:Lasse!
Still waiting for your suggestions....

However, the video you show a link to may be a hood one standing where you stand, on the grass... however, I am a flyfisherman, not a flacasterman, and to be frankly the cast you show I can not see any use for in a fishing situation... why? Just becsuse when fishin you very often are standing in water to knee high, and, your loop/leader end is very low, almost knee/waist..

I have all respect for you as a caster/fisherman, but then it would be good that we discuss casting on the same premises, fishing or casting...
Hi Dag

Sorry real life comes way before virtual and free casting advice on the net :)

So you want me to stand in water with a eletronic device strapped to me and redoing the clip before you can use it :D
Get an imagination! That clip was done to look closely at when to best release the line, it also benefits in showing and busting several casting myths that selfclaimed flyfishermen like to cling onto.

Feedback on your cast.You start your roation/movement/cast way before the line is ready to do the same, it is very easy to see. Secondly you also still feed line from your haul as you start your rotation/movement/cast. This is both ways, front and backcast. Loads of wasted movement and energy.

Casting is casting, fishing is what we do after the cast, when the fly is in the water.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Dag Midtgard

Post by Dag Midtgard »

Lasse!
Thank you very much for your excellent feedback, I am really happy that you claim I do things quite differently than the usual way...

Is this technique quite different from what you and your casting federation are teaching?
Dag Midtgard

Post by Dag Midtgard »

Lasse...

I guess many would have paid for advices if there were an online option for it!!

Just a quick follow up question... you say that according to your style of teaching/casting, that I am to early in the timing of the back- and frontcast... when do you think one should start touching the line in the front- and backcast...

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”