PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

casting 7wt. for spey work MCI

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Anyway it's right at borderline of what I can do with a long belly. I taught how to throw further with all casts - from line end to rod tip for most casts with some "pokes".

An interesting exercise but I can't say I've ever practised for any of these exams. The exams themselves are pointless. The friends you make is what matters.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

This is shaping up to be a weirder year than 17, I agree :oh:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:This is shaping up to be a weirder year than 17, I agree :oh:
It must be the end times :666:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Na, Paul's now a married man, could be that's why he's starting to make sense :D

VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Na, Paul's now a married man, could be that's why he's starting to make sense :D
It never worked for me :whistle:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

We need to talk to someone sane that knew you before you got married, and that might prove difficult ;)
Can't take tour word for it, sorry :D

VGB

Post by VGB »

[quote="Lasse Karlsson"]We need to talk to someone sane that knew you before you got married, and that might prove difficult [\quote]

Buggered if I can think of anyone : :(

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:We need to talk to someone sane that knew you before you got married, and that might prove difficult [\quote]

Buggered if I can think of anyone : :(

I have the same problem :blush:

Subtropicalspey

Post by Subtropicalspey »

The opening of this thread by Windknotz88 was very interesting and inspired me to evaluate three 7-wt lines, comparing them in the overhead 85-foot cast and the spey casts. I compared the Ballistic Pro Performance, the Rio Bonefish line (head length 49 feet) and the Rio Single hand spey line. The single-hand spey line was the only line that in my hands consistently produced 65 feet on the spey casts and 85+ feet on the overhead casts. With the Pro Performance and the Rio Bonefish I could reach 60 feet, but never 65. Also, I agree with Paul that the overhead casts with the single spey line are a bit clunky. Next I plan to buy and evaluate the 6 wt version of Rio's single hand spey line.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Eugene,

it's my opinion that the better a line becomes for shooting Spey Casts, the clunkier it becomes for Distance overhead, and at some point you start to lose distance. Good SH Spey lines that I've used have been the i-Line, the TT Nymph Taper and the Barrio SLX. Of the three I prefer the TT, however they all underperform for O/H particularly for distance.

The best O/H lines for me are the MED, the Thunderbolt (old Sage TCR taper), the Barrio 125 and DTs.

I actually enjoy (prefer) Spey Casting long belly lines (e.g. MED) but it requires either a long pick-up or pokes for distance. Also you don't want to be too deep in the water!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”