PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Is the cast itself a transverse wave?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

gordonjudd wrote: Vince,
As noted back in post 15:
An attempt to define the necessary and sufficient characteristics that qualify a phenomenon as a wave results in a blurred line.
In the case of kinetic waves, i.e.,
In gravity and pressure driven fluid dynamical and geophysical mass flows such as ocean waves, avalanches, debris flows, mud flows, flash floods, etc
Considerable matter may be transported in the wave flow.

Gordy
Gordy

As noted in the title, the thread is about transverse waves, not kinetic waves. We can blur the lines even further if we include shapes that look like waves when you squint and include phenomena that aren’t usually a part of fly casting such as avalanches and flushing the u bend.

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
anjill

Post by anjill »

Hi Gordy,
I really liked your demonstration of using the second bending mode of the rod to produce tighter transverse waves with less effort.

What camera or phone are you using to take your high speed videos?
Gordy
Twice as many transverse waves - superimposed on a transverse wave (or part thereof)? :D

Those clips were from a Casio Exelim FH20 at 240fps. Nowadays I usually just use an iPhone 7 at 120fps.

Regards,
Tony.
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Twice as many transverse waves
Tony,

I don't know if you measured the tip frequency in your videos, but the frequency of the 2nd mode in a tapered rod is about 3.3 times the fundamental frequency. Thus if you are interested in producing more ripples in your "Zorro" cast, exciting the 2nd mode in the tip vibrations is a very clever way to do it.

I was not creative enough to think of it.

Gordy
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

As noted in the title, the thread is about transverse waves, not kinetic waves.
Vince,
I would disagree.

This topic is about "is the cast itself a transfer wave?". In the true Sexyloops tradition of a thread never staying on topic and taking 20 pages of discussion, the short answer is no, the loop wave results in points in the medium traveling in same direction as the propagation direction of the loop and therefore is not a transverse wave.

So if it is not a transverse wave, how would researchers in wave mechanics characterize it?

There is probably no agreement on what that answer might be, but in this paper on The Propagation of Waves in a Cracking Whip Taft says:
When a whip is cracked, the user moves his or her arm back and forth, which
imparts energy on one end of the whip. This back and forth motion of the experimenter’s
arm creates a kinetic wave in the material. This wave propagates through the whip and
by the time it reaches the tip of the whip, that tip is moving at supersonic speeds.
Here is the shape of the wave he analyzed in his paper. You will note that it looks more like a fly casting loop wave rather than the tear shaped whip wave that Dr. McMillen studied in his thesis.

Thus if someone who is an expert in wave mechanics call that propagating loop shape a kinetic wave, I am more than happy to accept that the loop wave we produce in casting can rightly be considered to be an example of a kinetic wave.

Gordy
VGB

Post by VGB »

Gordy

You may disagree but the transverse wave discussion was still continuing yesterday. However, I do agree the answer is no
There is probably no agreement on what that answer might be, but in this paper on The Propagation of Waves in a Cracking Whip Taft says:
When a whip is cracked, the user moves his or her arm back and forth, which
imparts energy on one end of the whip. This back and forth motion of the experimenter’s
arm creates a kinetic wave in the material. This wave propagates through the whip and
by the time it reaches the tip of the whip, that tip is moving at supersonic speeds.
Thus if someone who is an expert in wave mechanics call that propagating loop shape a kinetic wave, I am more than happy to accept that the loop wave we produce in casting can rightly be considered to be an example of a kinetic wave.
Thank you for sharing that paper,it looks very interesting. What common physics definition of kinetic wave are you using that binds whips, chains, string, avalanches, debris flows etc I would like to understand the shared characteristics, presumably this is not captured in the wave equation?
Here is the shape of the wave he analyzed in his paper. You will note that it looks more like a fly casting loop wave rather than the tear shaped whip wave that Dr. McMillen studied in his thesis.
It may look like a fly cast but it does involve a pulley mechanism which does change the dynamics somewhat.

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

It may look like a fly cast but it does involve a pulley mechanism which does change the dynamics somewhat.
Vince,
What do you mean by pulley mechanism?

I think he pulled the string around a smooth bar, much the same as I did with my coffee cup haul experiments to produce a loop wave in a fly line.

There is a difference in the way the initial loop shape is produced, but I don't see any difference in the dynamics constraining the way his u-shaped whip wave or the u-shaped fly wave would propagate.

Maybe you could elaborate on what you think is different about the dynamics.

Gordy
VGB

Post by VGB »

gordonjudd wrote:
Vince,
What do you mean by pulley mechanism?

I think he pulled the string around a smooth bar, much the same as I did with my coffee cup haul experiments to produce a loop wave in a fly line.

There is a difference in the way the initial loop shape is produced, but I don't see any difference in the dynamics constraining the way his u-shaped whip wave or the u-shaped fly wave would propagate.
Gordy

You have added another object into the system, we have no pulley, bar or coffee cup in the fly cast?

I’m looking forward to an answer to my question on what defines a kinetic wave.

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting I had a read of that paper too recently. I figured bill whips would be the closest thing to flycasting that would have been studied. I had a go with a bull whip last time in Tasmania. While I can crack a flyline very easily (with pull back) I find the whip to be quite challenging (not to mention dangerous!).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
anjill

Post by anjill »

Hi Gordy,
the frequency of the 2nd mode in a tapered rod is about 3.3 times the fundamental frequency.
Thanks for that pearl. I had never thought about the effect of the taper.

Regards,
Tony.
Mac Brown

Post by Mac Brown »

I think it would depend on who is the caster for a specific cast! The transverse wave has to have perpendicular right angled waves propagating down the line. So with really good fly casters that match power application and have excellent tracking, I doubt there is much of a right-angled component introduced into the morphing loop.

A high percentage of the masses tend to rotate the reel outward coming into the stop on the back casts. These loops have introduced a transverse wave into their back cast. This no doubts effects the accuracy of the forward delivery. I just finished a blog post on the subject since it is so prevalent for the masses.
https://macbrownflyfish.com/understandi ... -accuracy/

Great question and as Gordy's study group used to always say, "it depends".... :yeahhh: :yeahhh:
.><((((º> .><((((º> .><((((º>

Mac Brown

Bryson City, NC, USA

cell (828-736-1469)

https://macbrownflyfish.com
https://flyfishingguideschool.com

Return to “Flycasting”