PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Upward Force from Form Drag

Moderator: Torsten

James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:I'm sure it's just the back wind pushing up the slack line
:D :D :D :D :D :sorcerer:
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think that could have been better phrased :p
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hey, I don't speak posh :p
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I'm on your page James.

Gordy, the inclined section of the "sexy loop" is in the rod leg, correct? If so, it has no forward velocity relative to the air (on a calm day) just like the markers within the rod leg in the video I posted earlier. No forward velocity = no drag from air.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

The inclined section is in the loop, Graeme.

Here is a scheme showing the forces represented along two approaches, the "form and skin" and the more conventionnal "drag and lift". I have a compatible set of assumtions for both. If I consider lift versus drag, it represents only 10% in intensity, and once projected on the vertical direction it comes down to 1%. The main component of the vertical force is thus drag.
inclined loop.JPG
inclined loop.JPG (21.81 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
With a set of parameters similar to Gordy's one, I find that the vertical aerodynamic forces compensate the "loop" mass if the fly leg speed is 31.7 m/s. This is something realistic, so it could well be that the drag forces could slightly "lift" the loop is there is enough speed in the system, or maybe the inclination of the loop would change in that case and only let drag forces keep the line aloft. Bad luck we do not know the line speed for those casts.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

What causes this is, I believe, the momentum that has been imparted in to the fly-leg by the actions of the caster. Are we all in agreement on this?
James,
As you know it takes a change in momentum to produce a force, so I don't follow your argument.

I would think that sag would just get pulled out due to tension in the rod leg of the line.

Gordy
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

I think that lift trips off the tongue better than Fd* cos(theta) but they are not the same thing.
Vince,
So how would you compute the magnitude of the green vector in your diagram? Based on the tilt angle and the Fd magnitude of the drag force due just to form drag on the inclined section of line?
Gordy
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Merlin,
I don't understand the labels on your purple "drag" and "lift" vectors in your diagram. I thought the convention for lift was it is directed in the positive y direction and drag would be in the negative x direction.

Are you showing the net skin drag direction where the upward directed skin drag on the line going around the loop (including the inclined section of line) is nearly cancelled by the downward directed skin drag force of the inclined section of line going through the air?

If the tilt angle was 11 degrees why are you using 5.5 degrees in your sind(5.5) calculation for the form drag velocity? If Vf=2*loop velocity (i.e. Vf is the fly velocity) shouldn't the form drag velocity be calculated as V//2*sind(11)? For small angle they would have about the same value, but there will be a difference when the angle is 11 degrees.

Gordy
James9118

Post by James9118 »

gordonjudd wrote: James,
As you know it takes a change in momentum to produce a force, so I don't follow your argument.

I would think that sag would just get pulled out due to tension in the rod leg of the line.

Gordy
Hi Gordy,

And this is where we get to the crux of things. Is the transition of the fly-leg into the rod-leg lossless? When you say the 'sag would just get pulled out due to tension in the rod leg' where does that tension come from? Also the line (that's on the floor) has to be lifted and dragged along (shot) hence work is done - where does the force come from for this work bearing in mind the caster's input is over once the loop is formed?

The fundamental problem with most of these papers, in my opinion, is that they're built on false assumptions. They all start with the assumption there are no losses. The losses are absolutely fundamental to the physics of how a fly cast works, they can't just be chucked in at the end to explain why a real fly cast doesn't conform with the modelling predictions. And let's face it the modelling predictions do not reflect real life, otherwise I'd see my side casts veering to the right.

As I've previously written, I don't think these researchers know enough about the real world of fly casting, however academically gifted they are.

Cheers, James
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

just get pulled out due to tension in the rod leg' where does that tension come from?
James,

From the momentum flux change in the moving mass of the propagating loop. As noted before it is nominally equal to rho_l*vloop.^2.
where does the force come from for this work bearing in mind the caster's input is over once the loop is formed?
Same answer.
Is the transition of the fly-leg into the rod-leg lossless?
Falling loop experiments say that it is.
Gordy

Return to “Flycasting Physics”