PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

FFI CI vs. MCI casting demonstrations

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Hi.

I will use the MCI casting demonstration tasks to train properly for the CI exam. I just created a table for myself in order to compare the two tests. Below is pic of the table just in case anyone else finds it useful. Click on pic to enlarge.

The MCI requirements in the table are post March 1st.

https://s14.postimg.org/kbdhumrjl/ci-vs-mci.png
easterncaster
Answers: 0

Post by easterncaster »

Hi jarmo,

If I may suggest something to try:

Lay your line out on the grass in a 4ft. (and then a 3ft.) loop. ... a loop as defined by the exam preamble(s). Use the length of line specified in the first few casting tasks, AND use a tape measure... :whistle:

Stand up on a high step ladder and look down at it.

If you've never done this before, I bet you will find it eye opening - it was for me.

After years of casting, and some examining, I had never empirically observed loops of a specific, measured size. No-one in my casting sphere, be they FFF mentor, examiner, or instructor ever did this for me, in a workshop or demo. Now though, I include it in my candidate mentoring. They find it eye opening just how tight a 4ft. loop is - never mind a 3ft..

Another drill: using painter's tape, mark out on the side of your house or garage, at casting height, 3 + 4 ft. loops.

Make sense?
Craig
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

easterncaster wrote: After years of casting, and some examining, I had never empirically observed loops of a specific, measured size. No-one in my casting sphere, be they FFF mentor, examiner, or instructor ever did this for me, in a workshop or demo.
Hi Craig,
excellent point, mate.
Just some years back some IFFF examiners told me, that for the roll cast in the IFFF exam it was claimed the fly-leg not to be moved above the caster's head position. At that time I went out and made some slomos of me and other fine casters. :p
Fair to summarize the fly-leg (during unrolling) easily gets above the highest rod position during the stroke. Not to think about staying below head position. :p We often think to do one while doing quite another in true life.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:
easterncaster wrote: After years of casting, and some examining, I had never empirically observed loops of a specific, measured size. No-one in my casting sphere, be they FFF mentor, examiner, or instructor ever did this for me, in a workshop or demo.
Hi Craig,
excellent point, mate.
Just some years back some IFFF examiners told me, that for the roll cast in the IFFF exam it was claimed the fly-leg not to be moved above the caster's head position. At that time I went out and made some slomos of me and other fine casters. :p
Fair to summarize the fly-leg (during unrolling) easily gets above the highest rod position during the stroke. Not to think about staying below head position. :p We often think to do one while doing quite another in true life.
Regards
Bernd
Thanks Bernd.

Ha - I remember discussing that Roll cast item!
Again though, as Paul so maturely (remember he's married now... :p ) stated, don't want to piss-off people.

Cheers from cold, snowy New York USA !
OLDGOLD

Post by OLDGOLD »

easterncaster wrote:
Bernd Ziesche wrote:
Hi Craig,
excellent point, mate.
Regards
Bernd
Thanks Bernd.

Ha - I remember discussing that Roll cast item!
Again though, as Paul so maturely (remember he's married now... :p ) stated, don't want to piss-off people.

Cheers from cold, snowy New York USA !

Nah...pissing people off can be fun if they are wrong.:)
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

easterncaster wrote:Hi jarmo,

If I may suggest something to try:

Lay your line out on the grass in a 4ft. (and then a 3ft.) loop. ... a loop as defined by the exam preamble(s). Use the length of line specified in the first few casting tasks, AND use a tape measure... :whistle:

Stand up on a high step ladder and look down at it.

If you've never done this before, I bet you will find it eye opening - it was for me.

After years of casting, and some examining, I had never empirically observed loops of a specific, measured size. No-one in my casting sphere, be they FFF mentor, examiner, or instructor ever did this for me, in a workshop or demo. Now though, I include it in my candidate mentoring. They find it eye opening just how tight a 4ft. loop is - never mind a 3ft..

Another drill: using painter's tape, mark out on the side of your house or garage, at casting height, 3 + 4 ft. loops.

Make sense?
Yep, that is a good tip. Thanks!

As soon as we get rid of the cold weather and some of the snow. For now I am just focusing on gathering all of the written and video instructions on the different tasks. The theory, you know...
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

I don't think I require a new thread for a couple of questions, so I am just going to use this one.

In the FFI CI exam, I know that I need to use my max. 9' max. 7wt rod with max. 7wt line for performance tasks and most likely to demonstrate casting in teaching tasks. However, am I allowed to use any additional gadgets whatsoever when teaching in the exam? I mean, gadgets I would typically use in real teaching?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes absolutely. Examiners love this.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:Yes absolutely. Examiners love this.
Thanks!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I'd love to now what they are, but happy if you want to keep that quiet until after the test. Might be worth starting another thread, if we haven't done so before.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”