PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

casting 7wt. for spey work MCI

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:Does my 40 quid mean that my casting instructor can teach me to throw at targets in competition? And what do I get for 60 quid?

Cheers, Paul
I don't think that the market for competition accuracy is going to keep all of our MCI's in mink coats :D

regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

easterncaster wrote: ...

Fishing accuracy as well Competition accuracy is not done down a straight line, One, Two, Three, from one's toes.

tag,,
Craig
Now that I have given my above statement a rethink:

There is one exception, ACA's accuracy game: "Wet Fly".
All five rings are in row, straight out front from the casting box.

But is not a game of hover, finding one's fly - it is a game of tracking and line management.
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Paul Arden wrote:However... I don't want to piss too many people off.

Cheers, Paul
Ahh, yes it's a still a fairly virgin New Year :p
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It's not fly tying, Vince.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: It's quite possible to pass all of these tests with a 5MED or RIO COMP Gold. I think I used a 5 for all of my exams apart from the STANIC where I used a 6WT (many years ago) and the EFFF where I also used a 6 (100ft distance cast which back then was inconsistent for me with a 5).
Hi Paul,
I am glad your history isn't too lazy to remember you once were struggeling on 100 ft. distance with a 5 wt. line. :p :D

It is even possible to pass the test with a 3wt. line, yes. But why would you recommend to make it harder to see the (thinner) line?

Using a thicker line brings in many advantages like for example making it easier to SEE/observe all casting.

I can't find any heroic in not making it as simple as possible to both the examiners and the candidate to pass whatever exam. In fact I think the smart candidate would choose exactly what makes it the easiest.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bernd,

I think that you should use what you teach with. If the test is a 7WT then sobeit. But I don't think 85' is a particularly long cast with a 7 line for a professional fly casting instructor, particularly a master level. Do you?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Paul Arden wrote:Hi Bernd,

I think that you should use what you teach with. If the test is a 7WT then sobeit. But I don't think 85' is a particularly long cast with a 7 line for a professional fly casting instructor, particularly a master level. Do you?

Cheers, Paul
My name is not Bernd :whistle: :

In relation to the rest of the exam it is THE distance cast. I see it as nice compromise - allows candidates of all sizes, strengths and age to handle the task. Also, the task has some tight requirements, especially if examiners stay true to what is written. I've seen a lot of technically crappy 85ft casts - for sure I've made a few :whistle: . 7 wgts. have the ability to make the required distance, enabling, sure, but a faulty distance is not the task. 85ft. is only one facet of the task.

tag,,
Craig
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:

Using a thicker line brings in many advantages like for example making it easier to SEE/observe all casting.

I can't find any heroic in not making it as simple as possible to both the examiners and the candidate to pass whatever exam. In fact I think the smart candidate would choose exactly what makes it the easiest.
Cheers
Bernd
It's a Bernd and Craig love fest today :D :

Nice post mate!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Then it should be into a target. A large one of course but a target nonetheless.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I knew this was a dating site :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting”