PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welded Loops with Bernd

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by Paul Arden »

Excellent. Thanks Graeme!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

p.s2
I really need to learn doing them( never needed). Lasse do you have a link to your recipe?

cheers
mike
Hi Mike

Haven't made a tutorial yet, will do asap :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
t.z.

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by t.z. »

Am I wrong or does this FP need a revision? The facts presented here speak a very different language.
sms

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by sms »

Rio used to leave and maybe does still leave the shrink tubing on the weld and I would think that increases the strength and prevents the weld to shred apart during use. It also adds some bulk.

Others don't and that can be an issue over time. I do not necessarily cut the welded loops off, but once there is even slight indication of tearing apart, I'll replace it with a braided loop I make either from 35lb or 50lb gudebrod braid.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Bernd Ziesche

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

t.z. wrote:Am I wrong or does this FP need a revision? The facts presented here speak a very different language.
Hi Thomas,
not for me. ;)
The key points I listed in my fp have been approved here as well.

- Welded loops are thicker and thus mostly suck everytime you get them into the tip ring. Definetly I want to be able to pull in my leader whenever I have to.

- The longevity is shorter as is for the braided ones or the spliced ones.

- It needs serious knowledge (and practising) to make proper welded loops.

- Welded loops need to be replaced as soon as the coating shows little damage.

Bruce (as Paul mentioned) still replaces welded loops for SW fishing. Scientific Anglers though does offer many fly lines coming with welded loops, but the 100lbs. core ones. I think, that is for the very reasons I had in my fp. :p
They do offer the Amplitude Tarpon line coming with welded loops. I would like to check, if those loops can be pulled into the tip and if (or how far) they match the strength of the line.
I just got some new MED lines and cut of the welded loops, because they have too much mass and I do not like the final turn over with that extra mass!

Lasse offered another fine way to splice the core under the coating. That is how I do my loops on my 9, 10 and 11 wt. dh lines. Try to get a needle under a 5wt. sinking line's coating. That needs a hell lot of practise in my experience. I have been watching the guys from the fishing shop "Korsholm" (Denmark) many times making loops the way Lasse mentioned. They do many loops every day! Still they struggle with quite some line's coatings. That's why I left that way out in my fp even though I agree with Lasse this to be a very sexy looping.

Sakari mentioned RIO leaving the shring tubes on for better longevity. That proves my point.
But as I said proper welded loops need lots of practise which in my exp. very few people have.

Still coatings often break first and that puts down all test results in regard of strength.
It's one to test a brand new welded loop and quite another to test it after 100 fishing days (which for me is just 4 month).

In fact I just ordered the 100 lbs. core lines from SA. Let's see how I will be adding a loop to them. :p :cool: :D :sorcerer:
Regards,
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
sms

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by sms »

Which SA lines have 100lb core Bernd?

-Sakke
sms

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by sms »

Alright, SA has chosen mono too for the heaviest stuff. That can be great - Rio's Leviathans are great and also have strong monocore.

-Sakke
Bernd Ziesche

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Sakari,
I wanted to order the Leviathan but don't like the very short head. SA BWT comes with a longer head. I prefer that. Will let you know how I like them.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
sms

Welded Loops with Bernd

Post by sms »

Hi Bernd,

I like a longer head too. That is one reason I like the grain weight leviathans over the old SA bluewater express lines. The latter ones are more like bricks on a strap and don't work in cold. The leviathan's temperature range is huge. Just soak and stretch to make it work at 10 degrees. And if you forgot to soak, then just stretch more and you probably need to repeat a few times during the day. And they still excel in tropics. And they are smooth, which is always nice to hands. I think the intermediate I have may have a longer head than stated. At least the head is heavier than 500gr.

I have also found good lines with longer heads on monocore from a manufacturer whose name is changed to a bar accessory in here. Those lines are from pre-fingercuttingridge era. #10 clear tarpon intermediate line worked great for albies at Harkers Island in last November for example. And the heavier similarly work for early/late season Mediterranean tuna. Just bought a coldwater version that was quite supple at -6 degrees. Remains to see how it works in real life tuna chasing.

Good to see that SA has chosen the monocore way too. Then if they would leave the running line smooth.

-Sakke

Return to “Tackle”