PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Leader design for traditional spey line

Moderator: Lee Cummings

windknotz88
Answers: 0

Post by windknotz88 »

I've got an echo 3 in 13ft. 7wt. I'm lining it with ballistic vector in 6/7 440gr. for THCI prep. For casting on water, what leader and fly formulas can you recommend for the tasks? I can tie pretty much anything.
MCI Cleveland TN. Lee University Anglers.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I'm using a 10 ft bonefish tapered leader as the mid section of my leader. My goal with leader construction has been to establish the required 80ft length with no more than 40cms of overhang between rod tip and the back of the head, then no more than 13ft of leader. I have cut back my fly line (Rio In Touch long belly) by 3ft to accommodate this, I may remove a further 30cms but I'll see how it goes for now, not a fan of too much overhang at the moment, it still creates a "dead spot" that I'm sure will go with time. The leader has been extended through the addition of a 1m butt section (determined by thickness of the end of the fly line) and then I remove 3ft of the 10lb tippet end of the tapered leader and replace it with 12lb tippet. As for fly I'm currently using a tuft of wool, that is all.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I used a simple 60/20/20 hometied leader at 15 foot with a big eenough piece of fluff, that I could see it land at 80 feet+.
At every practice session I started as one does i at the test. Cast to qualify the line, and depending on the days conditions and my form it changed several feet, I live at the sea, its windy ;) The qualification of the line is the only time a tape measure is used in the test, so it sets the form for the whole thing.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Do you have 80 ft marked out where you cast Lasse or do you take a tape measure each time? The importance of this qualification task has been pointed out me a few times and I have been neglecting it.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I take a tape measure every time, and since I usually practice alone, I take two sticks and a string, so I can see if I reach the distance or not.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

That's in the water? I might make an 80ft long length of rope and put a float on the end then lay that out with a couple of tent pegs.

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”