PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Distance cast with line weight

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Boisker
Answers: 0

Post by Boisker »

Is there a generalised ‘rule of thumb’ for increasing distance cast with increasing line weight?

I assume between consecutive line weights it is fairly negligible, but there must be some increase?

Say a 6w must in most (or all??) go further than a 4w...
crunch

Post by crunch »

I have done two tests. One was 6wt and 8wt SA Sharkskin Trout taper and other line I don't remember just now. There came about 10% difference. Back then my casting consistency was poor and I did cast outdoors although I did chose days there was not much wind. To see meaningful results I did cast many rounds and took worst casts away. If I would do it again I think the difference would come smaller because I can aerialize more line now. Two line weight class heavier is about 30% heavier so 1% longer cast needs about 3% more line weight.

Esa
James9118

Post by James9118 »

My average competition results show that I cast a #7 line 10 feet further than a #5. There will be a limit though - I can't imagine throwing for example a #12 further. The comparison is hard though because it's hard to find a long belly line in the heavier weights. (I guess the best comparison would be with DTs)

James
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Cheers both :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote:My average competition results show that I cast a #7 line 10 feet further than a #5. There will be a limit though - I can't imagine throwing for example a #12 further. The comparison is hard though because it's hard to find a long belly line in the heavier weights. (I guess the best comparison would be with DTs)

James
Or 30 feet shootingheads ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Or 30 feet shootingheads ;)

Cheers
Lasse
I'd probably bet on the #12 in that instance :D

Cheers, James
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Boisker,
in windless conditions I cast ca. 1-2m further per line weight increase coming from 4 to 8wt.. Didn't test any higher because I couldn't get the same line profiles.
In wind however the difference easily may get much larger. If casting a 7wt. line means to get the head just unrolled against a strong tail wind, while I don't get the head of the same profile but 5 wt. straight anymore... I easily can end up in 10m difference or more.
The higher the line weight, the thicker the lines are. The thicker a line is, the less surface it has for the same mass. So the higher weighted lines have less surface based friction for the given mass compared to ligther lines and thus go further. As James mentioned upto the point when it gets so heavy that it will slow down rotation too much.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Thanks Bernd, I was interested as I haven’t really noticed any major difference between the usual 4 and 6 w’s I cast... I would have guessed (I’ve never measured) that I cast the 6 w perhaps a few metres further but definitely not by much.
But I had wondered whether the small difference I notice was due to me not yet casting either weight as far as others on the forum would cast them... and whether the difference would increase as the max distance for the rod line combo approached, looks like it wouldn’t :D

Cheers
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Try and add a fly at the end into the mix ;)

A nice big pike streamer, and then see the differences :p

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Or 30 feet shootingheads ;)

Cheers
Lasse
I'd probably bet on the #12 in that instance :D

Cheers, James
Ok, I'm game, got something way above that I'll throw then :666: what's the bet :p

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting”