PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

hi speed tying vids

Moderator: Viking Lars

TrevH
Answers: 0

hi speed tying vids

Post by TrevH »

True. The internet is unregulated which I guess is both good and bad.

Unfortunately, the qualification to get listened to is not to be good, but to be loud, so that is what people spend their time on.

Being loud pays better than being good.
t.z.

hi speed tying vids

Post by t.z. »

It is scientifically proven that alle the "others" are idiots ;-)

Anyway, what I was more interested in talking about is "subconscious" learning. I feel that this is often underrated, specifically with all the super technical discussions about fly casting, of which most seem to be more based on harry potters books than Isaac Newtons well accepted laws of physics. :pirate:

Anyway, how about just showing instead of "explaining"?
Neil Owens

hi speed tying vids

Post by Neil Owens »

Will you can show or you can just explain. And that may satisfy some people. But that’s not really enough. I’m a big believer in Kolb’s learning cycle. When teaching I find I hit most students by explaining, showing, getting them to do something and then getting them to reflect on what they’ve done.

http://skillsforlearning.leedsbeckett.a ... s/02.shtml

Hence my line of questioning (and your good answers) on materials. It’s all very well saying ‘use a grizzle hackle’ but some people(me) can’t really accept that and move on without knowing the ‘why that hackle’.
Boisker

hi speed tying vids

Post by Boisker »

Also depends as ever what skills you already have... if you have the basic tying techniques then long explanations can be a pain as you just want to see the order of the fly...
I really like the fast vids.... very quick to watch, I like the dirty griffiths... a good example, I already tie the griffiths so the quick vid was ideal..

If your at stage one and a complete beginner then a longer vid and description would be required, but at a guess you wouldn’t be watching the speed vids.
Neil Owens

hi speed tying vids

Post by Neil Owens »

I disagree - no one likes pfaff - I like the high speed vids as I can easily see what step’s next then pause then pay a bit more then pause again.

I do miss T.Z’s irreverent commentary though.
t.z.

hi speed tying vids

Post by t.z. »

Well, the hi speed stuff I only one part of a rooster of educational material I produce. I have made them mainly to promote the book. The book is the finale source for information. However, the videos in the book are 2 to 3 minutes average and feature caption tekst, but no audio.

However, the hi speed "marketing" material was already undesrstood as very informative by many. Really funny. Hence me bringing up the topic.

Return to “Flytying”