PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New - living in Aus

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
rowch
Answers: 0

New - living in Aus

Post by rowch »

Hi.

I joined Sexyloops after reading the stillwater section, hoping to improve my skills.

Living in SE Australia, with several stocked resevoirs nearby, I've had to learn new skills - returning to fly fishing after what seems decades. Transposing the stillwater content by 6 months, it's surprising the similarities in trout behaviour through the seasons and the techniques used to catch them.

Putting that to the test for September bankside fishing (March), I caught a couple of decent size Browns of about 2 and 4lbs. It didn't feel like hit-n-miss - if in doubt tie on a Wooly Bugger and dredge the bottom. A Black Diawl Bach to which I had tied a sparse deer hair wing did the trick, on a washing line rig.

I will be seeking advice about casting and fly lines. The spot closest to home is not a particularly friendly environment, but it holds many nice Browns and Rainbows, other than the usual Redfin (English Perch) population.

Rowland
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New - living in Aus

Post by Paul Arden »

Hey that’s great Rowland! That Stillwater knowledge has worked great for me in Montana, Tassie and parts in NZ.

I’d add dun feeders to it now for Tas.

Many thanks and Welcome to the Board!!!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New - living in Aus

Post by Paul Arden »

Actually I’d add the importance of currents, emphasis wind lanes, the advantage of lighter lines and sight fishing for cruisers. All stuff that I learned later.

But the crux of it has stayed with me since 22 years ago when I first wrote it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

New - living in Aus

Post by Graeme H »

Welcome aboard Rowland.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
rowch

New - living in Aus

Post by rowch »

Thanks Paul and Graeme.

Appreciate the welcome. I will be seeking advice and systematically applying the monthly bank side tutorials throughout the year.

The windswept locale I fish produces multiple lanes at times - still a bit of mystery - not sure how to fish them given the restrictions on this particular water. But I will leave my questions for the appropriate forums.

Rowland
t.z.

New - living in Aus

Post by t.z. »

Welcome ... :-)
Wet

New - living in Aus

Post by Wet »

Hmm, SE Australia... Victoria?
Cheers,
Andrew Connell
rowch

New - living in Aus

Post by rowch »

Thank you t.z and Wet. Victoria... indeed, Geelong. Wurdee Boluc is a short drive.
Wet

New - living in Aus

Post by Wet »

rowch wrote:Thank you t.z and Wet. Victoria... indeed, Geelong. Wurdee Boluc is a short drive.
Very good, and many more lakes not too far afield :yeahhh:
Cheers,
Andrew Connell

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”