PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Barbless hooks

Moderator: Paul Arden

Glenda
Answers: 0

Barbless hooks

Post by Glenda »

I only fish barbless..!! I am shocked to learn most fishermen fish with barbs... I am guessing you are only talking about fly fishermen because, let's face it, lots of fishermen fish with lures that have twin or treble barbs..??!!
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
ACW

Barbless hooks

Post by ACW »

http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/ ... alogue.pdf
page 11 shows a hook that way back I rated highly at the time, the out barb as designed by my first casting teacher,Falkus was an interesting person with a dislike for the then up coming trend to C&R, I still have a few of these Hooks but will never use them again even if I was fishing for the pot,as they were unkind to the flesh both fishs and mine !
Kevin P

Barbless hooks

Post by Kevin P »

Personal net recommendation..........Greys GX folding net (large). It has a deep rubberised bag that is ideal for fish recovery. It's also (nearly) big enough for most carp I catch. It is heavy and to hang it securely on my waistcoat I use a pair of 2cm magnets from here: https://www.emagnets.com/, which are far stronger than the expensive sort they sell in tackle dealers.
Recently I spent several hours looking into biologists' research on fish survival. Rubberised nets enable a higher proportion of fish to survive than other types; the next best is knotless synthetic with small mesh. The less handling the better. A minute out of water has a drastic effect on fish survival.
Kevin
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Barbless hooks

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Glenda, yes they are fly fishers. And many experienced as well. I comverted a few :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jonas Fredriksson

Barbless hooks

Post by Jonas Fredriksson »

I do not fish barbless and neither do I know anyone that does so on my home waters. But after reading this I might have to give it a go...
Viking Lars

Barbless hooks

Post by Viking Lars »

On the main, Danish salmon rivers barbless or de-barbed is now required and the use of big nets is being promoted. The guys at Zpey Flyfishing made a video, which I can't find right now (might be a Facebook video).

Lugging around a huge salmon net is a nuisance to say the least, but I support the idea and on Danish salmon rivers, there's no doubt that landing and releasing a big salmon is infinitely easier with a net.

Lars
Lasse Karlsson

Barbless hooks

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

This one Lars?

https://youtu.be/BXYTa-5b9h8

It's in Danish.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flyfishing”