PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Long belly #6 WF lines

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

jarmo
Answers: 1

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by jarmo »

I need a new WF #6 line. I would like it to
  • have a long head (long belly), say 60’-75’
  • be very visible (orange, yellow or similar).
So far I have found Have I missed a lot of candidates?

I use DTs exclusively now, but want to buy a WF to experiment with overhang and shooting line.
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Barrio GT125
Barrio GT90, but that is all head..
Zimsen longbelly

75` is a huge length for a head, and hard to experiment with overhang with, besides, I don't know of any commercial singlehand lines with such a headlength.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Thomas

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

Take a look att Mike Barrios GT 125. Very similar in style to the MED and the Gold Tournament but a lot cheaper. Very visible color as well (orange). My own favorite is Sameo Python - a longbelly-line by the swedish company Sameo. This is a lovely line with a head around 16,5 meters. This line feels lighter compared to the MED and Rio Gold. The downside (for your purposes) is the color - it is sort of white/yellow so you probably would want something more visible.

/Thomas
jarmo

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by jarmo »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Barrio GT125
Barrio GT90, but that is all head..
Thomas wrote: Take a look att Mike Barrios GT 125.
Looks like a nice line indeed, and very affordable. I think I will also order a Barrios DT while I am at it. Interesting that it did not show up when I searched for “long head WF” and “long belly WF.”
75` is a huge length for a head, and hard to experiment with overhang with, besides, I don't know of any commercial singlehand lines with such a headlength.

Yeah, I might be overdoing it. Rio Gold is supposed to be 75’ and Barrios GT 125 73’.

Thanks!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Paul Arden »

MED would be one of.my choices. But I use the XXD green. Mostly I fish the Thunderbolt which is old TCR taper but we are out of stock of the 6WT lines. I’d like to develop a longer line along a similar profile but possibly also with a compount from taper. It’s too expensive at the moment to do this on my own and long bellly lines don’t sell well for most casters who are better off throwing a brick!

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:MED would be one of.my choices.
The price difference between MED and GT125 is just slightly short of staggering. GT125 seems to be around 31 euros delivered to my door. The closest shop here sells MED at 89 euros, another at 91 euros. The prices in online shops in Europe seem to be even worse - so if I would buy MED, at least it would be locally (which would be great).

I have a bunch of SA DT lines, and they have been really good, so up front I like their products a lot. However, this time common sense at least suggests that I should give Barrio a try.

Now if the line would be of the SL brand...
Thomas_E

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Thomas_E »

Paul Arden wrote: It’s too expensive at the moment to do this on my own and long bellly lines don’t sell well for most casters who are better off throwing a brick!
Very true. :D

I use the Barrio GT 90 and 125, the Rio Tournament and with pleasure the Snowbee ED, but a bit heavier and not very durable.

Cheers, Thomas E.
George C

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by George C »

Anyone have fishing experience with (or thoughts about) the SA anadro line?
https://www.scientificanglers.com/produ ... ry-anadro/
60' head, steep front taper................thinking of it as a long carry option for saltwater use (3" flies, 1/0 hooks).
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Paul Arden »

I spent half my life this evening on the kapatcha and failed.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Paul Arden »

SA are very anti robot fly fishing.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”