PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Upward Force from Form Drag

Moderator: Torsten

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

That image in Vince's post shows that the skin drag is acting on both legs in the string shooter. These is as much drag on the upper leg as there is on the lower leg. How can that arrangement of forces produce net lift for the line? Look at the vectors in play.

Are those who say there is lift produced in this arrangement completely ignoring the upper leg shown here?

In a standard cast, the fly leg is travelling across the ground and the rod leg is stationary. As Gordy correctly noted, drag opposes motion. Skin drag acts to slow the travelling fly leg and does not exist in any meaningful amount in the rod leg.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The string blower is interesting. Now what would happen if one end was tethered instread of being accelerated back through the motor? :)

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

The string would fall on the table and the motor would spin around like a washing machine :upside:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:The string blower is interesting. Now what would happen if one end was tethered instread of being accelerated back through the motor? :)

Cheers Paul
I think this is a unique and novel idea Paul. If there were more questions and discussions of this nature in the tech analysis section it would actually be interesting to join in. I think that, based on a number of factors, the line will form a loop just like a flycast. How far the loop will propagate will depend on the same factors that allow it to form in the first place. Trying to cast 5 lb mono at 2 mph, for example, isn’t going to do much.

Going to see if I can make one to try it out.

Cheers

Walter
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It would certainly be very interesting Walter. I sent Brice a message via Facebook. Hopefully he replies. It's something we definitely need to try.

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul,

If it works I think it will be just as useful as the Tracker software for studying loop propagation Graeme found along with the videos a number of people such as Aitor, Graeme, yourself, Lasse and others have provided.

Cheers.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I personally would be surprised if it works and think it will spit it out like wet spaghetti! Which is why we need to try it. Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Wet spaghetti makers are in high demand in the jungle I hear.

I think if the end wasn’t tethered it would look like something the cat threw up unless you want to use it to cast bead chains off the top of a building in which case it would turn into a bead chain fountain if the little wheels were turning fast enough. I haven’t found many fishing situations where that would be of any value though. Maybe a slinky shooter would be interesting but I don’t see much practical value in that either.

I think you need to convince NASA to send you into space so you can do some experiments in a weightless environment.

Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

if the end wasn’t tethered it would look like something the cat threw up
You could dust off the old catsick analyser Walter...
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

So... end is tethered. It would be very interesting to try this because it would answer a lot of questions and solve part of the argument on the Board. I might have a go at building one in a week or two. If it works it will save the backcast which will speed up Snakehead shots :cool:

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”