PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Casting - RIO Intouch Outbound Short - Boron rod

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

rowch
Answers: 0

Post by rowch »

Actually, I had the opportunity to try the OBS fishing Murray Cod, with a 6' 30lb leader and a big fly. No finesse and a lot of splash. Great fun. Short casts in the snags. It seemed well suited though I didn't catch a thing.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

How long a leader are you using Row? 20ft? I’ll try to shoot some video. There are a few things casting wise that might help for example pull-back and the checked shoot.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
rowch

Post by rowch »

Hi Paul.

Leader = 14' - this was as short as I felt to go with a 2 hook legal limit and to keep it out of the rocks above and behind - one fly must be a point-less indicator, wherever I happen to locate it - usually the point.

Self tied dimensions below. Not sure where I got the taper - on-line somewhere.

Mono 4' 0.45 mm, 2' 0.35, 2' 0.30,

FC 4' 0.25 and 4' 0.17.

3 - 4" droppers ~5lb STROFT FC at 4' intervals from the point.

Shooting video is taking a lot of your time. I would be just as happy with a few pointers and then to go out and practice.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Happy to shoot no problems. But have to it for Stu so it will be end of the week. I think your leader is 16ft not 14? That’s much less of problem even with foam on the point. If there is enough room for a dynamic d loop then 25m should be quite comfortable. If static D then around 18m. Back with you later in the week. Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
rowch

Post by rowch »

Hi Paul. 16' it is... and only if you have time.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I have time but no cameraman until the end of the week. So you have two buzzers hung between point fly and booby/dry. Another way of fishing the same depth is with spiders and sparse wets. But you still have to turn the point fly over. This is actually an example where I think a long belly line beats trying to shoot a short belly line. I’ll try to set up an identical leader. I’ve always found that the point to middle should be 1.5 times the distance as middle to top/bob. Otherwise for some reason I get tangles.

It will be fun!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Happy to shoot no problems. But have to it for Stu so it will be end of the week. I think your leader is 16ft not 14? That’s much less of problem even with foam on the point. If there is enough room for a dynamic d loop then 25m should be quite comfortable. If static D then around 18m. Back with you later in the week. Cheers Paul
Can we have a measuring tape on those distances?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes of course! Wouldn’t have it any other way. With a 9ft leader and 5 line I top out at 18.5m with static roll the way EFFA did it. Switch casts we had a switch cast shootout on a dam with Bernd, Lee and I. Depending on the line distances were 70-90 feet. I’m unsure as to how the longer leader and 3 flies will affect the distances.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I have no doubt about the distances with a 9 foot leader and fluff.. 16 foot leader, 4 flies and 5 weight line and quite comfortable, that's another ball game, and I'd race you with a short belly brick line ;)
I've participated in jump roll competitions the last 8 years, and 25 meters is hell of a long way even for world class casters....

Looking forward to the clips :cool:
Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep the longer leader is going to work against you but it can also work for you. As I wrote I think a little bit of weight coupled with more foam might be the trick. Anyway that’s just hot air and conjecture. The proof of the pudding will be in the tape measure. At least he piit fly will be floating which is going to help :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”