PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Lifting power of a fly rod

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Post by Michal Duzynski »

https://youtu.be/Rkd9pQv5bpA

any ideas why it cant be find. looks like somebody canceled my video from YT- WTF????
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Graeme H wrote: Paul's new 7'6" HT10 would be a very interesting rod for my needs. :) However, I've designed my own 8" glass blanks for my needs. The shorter HT would have o be pretty good to supplant them. Maybe supplement. :D
I think you would end up throwing all the glass ones away or using them in the garden :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I already use them in the park. You recommend the garden for practicing those really short casts? :p

Can't have too many rods Paul. Or at least, I haven't found the point where "enough" becomes "too many" yet. :yeahhh:
FFi CCI
WJC

Post by WJC »

I don't think the 4 piece rods have near the lifting power of the old 2 piece rods because the manufacturers put the female ferrule on the second section and not the butt section. So on the xi3 12 weight, for instance, the top of the butt section just below the second section ferrule is a smaller diameter than the second section until the second section narrows back down 14 1/2" up from the butt.

The only break I've had in a fish fight not due to extraordinary circumstances occurred in the butt section right below the ferrule. It occurred way before I thought it was close to the lock up point. I think manufacturers should reverse where they put the ferrules on rods 10 wt and up. The one I snapped off was an xi3 11wt., and I was holding the handle not the blank. I do not think I'm strong enough to snap off any of my old 2 piece 11 or 12 wt Sage RPLX's that close to the reel even when holding the foregrip.
sms

Post by sms »

Jim,

I don't think it is about the design. If the diameter would be bigger, it would be stiffer -> even worse for fish fighting.
Basically, you would want the rod to be shortest possible but not breaking when lifting the fish. I pulled a 130cm+ BFT up with ease with my new rod. Same size fish with stiff carbon rod with "big lifting power" used to to be a real PITA and took a long time.

Previously (with CF):
https://youtu.be/CF_cersWI8o

Now (with FG):
https://youtu.be/E_EOQTgF4I8
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
WJC

Post by WJC »

sms wrote:Jim,
I don't think it is about the design. If the diameter would be bigger, it would be stiffer -> even worse for fish fighting.
Basically, you would want the rod to be shortest possible but not breaking when lifting the fish. I pulled a 130cm+ BFT up with ease with my new rod. Same size fish with stiff carbon rod with "big lifting power" used to to be a real PITA and took a long time.
I understand that fully - and as you said "but not breaking". As I said, I snapped off an 11 wt with less rod bend than what is pictured below. Perhaps it was defective, I don't know. So I believe that the 4 piece rods break in the butt way too easily compared to 2 piece rods that I have treated no differently on equivalent fish for 30 years.

Below is a 4 piece rod with a fish under the boat. I am putting very little pressure on the fish because he is on the other side of the boat and I need to keep the rod off the hull. The rod, in my estimation, was very near lock up and I couldn't put any more pressure on it without fear of breaking it. I used the swell that just passed under the boat to lift the fish with the rod pointed down more and am about ready to gain a little bit of line going into the trough. With a stronger butt section, I could have gained much more line that that - if I felt the rod butt would take it. It is hard to have confidence in a 4 piece rod butt section that's way skinnier after snapping one off with very little pressure compared to what I've been putting on 2 piece rods for years.

Sorry, but you will not convince me that the 4 piece design they way they are is equal to the two piece design for big fish. Nor that the butt section should be way skinnier than the second section. :D

But I do have a question for you. Was it you who "tweaked" a Mako 9550's drag to get a higher drag rating out of it? Does anyone know the drag rating on that one? I couldn't find any specs on the Mako site.

Regards,
Jim
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Gordy Hill had a couple of one-piece rods when I fished with him many years ago for Tarpon. Bit of a pain to post but certainly have their advantages. When I’m flat out ISW I will have some made for me. I’ll have a look into shipping options to see what’s possible. 2-piece is certainly doable. Working on a 12WT HT at the moment.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

WJC wrote:Sorry, but you will not convince me that the 4 piece design they way they are is equal to the two piece design for big fish. Nor that the butt section should be way skinnier than the second section. :D
In order to have maximum lifting power, the rod should be as short as possible in horizontal axis after the holding point (hand). This means the easier the rod bends, the better. If you increase diameter, you need to go down in wall thickness -> collapses easier and is also more prone to breakage due to being hit. I am ditching all stiff butt rods from use where I need to lift fish. Actually I ditched already as I used a normal #9 9' rod last Nov in Harkers, but that was the last time. Next time I will be only fishing there with less stiff butted rods - even thou it makes fish fighting a bit too easy (so, after all I might take the normal parts too so I could make the fight harder for me and maybe search the limits and possibly go over them as it would not matter as I would then just swap in the GF parts).

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thank you Sakke for enlightening me :cool: :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

You are very welcome. It was a pleasure to be able to surprise you with these rods. Something that I knew that would happen. I turned another person's thinking around who thought that FG belongs to the past. I think choose the correct material to the correct place and the result is better than having same stuff everywhere.
:pirate:

-Sakke

Return to “Tackle”