PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Italian style of casting...

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Boisker
Answers: 0

Post by Boisker »

Does anyone know much about this or ‘do it’?
I’ve obviously seen/read bits on it before and a couple of vids of massimo casting which always look impressive. Someone on the U.K. forum had posted about attending one of the weekend courses and I had thought maybe next year.
But having now looked into it a bit more I’m not sure exactly what it is... some of the core casts low parallel, angular, thrust and totally under the tip all seem very similar (or the same) to casts I already know and do.
There are a couple of casts I am not so sure about and can’t quite see what is happening on videos- superimposed cast etc.
So am I missing something or is the style predominantly using well known casts with short, fast rods and long leaders?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

A few years ago I was supposed to meet some of the original guys but unfortunately my car didn’t make it and had to be towed back!

I’m yes and no with it. Stiff rods, light lines and long leaders - there is a lot you can do with this combination. Some of the presentation casts are superb. It has limitations of course, in particular with my current fishing it’s really going to struggle to perform throwing fast shots with heavy tackle. Some of the mechanics I’ve encountered by SIM instructors has been plain wrong.

What I do like about TLT is that it is original. And that has to be very much respected.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

That’s got me intrigued Paul... Perhaps I will keep an eye out for one of their events. One of the vids showing some of the presentation casts looks v interesting and as opposed to where you fish it looks as though aspects of it could be a great additional skill for West Country rivers... the slack and curve presentation cast could be very useful.

As an aside... where are you with your 7’6” torpedo?
VGB

Post by VGB »

I’ve fished with Malik in the Alpine streams a few times and Paul is right, the presentation casts are superb. I’ve used some of what I’ve learnt back here but I found practicing with a 9’ rod a bit painful and am building a short rod. The slack line presentations are fantastic in the fast water, where our traditional set ups drag too quickly. These are some of his videos:

http://simfly.ch/fr/videos

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think I’m there Matt. I changed lines and it’s a diffeeent animal. I need to go back now and measure the line I was using.

Curiously Chris Rownes a couple of years ago said that this was exactly what a TLT rod should be - although not 3/4 but 1WT I suppose.

I’ll aim to finalise this month. I’ve been sitting on various versions of this rod for 5 years now. Almost as long as the Fly Swap! The way I see it is that you’re only as good as your worst product. And that should be your first product! Every rod has to be better :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Hey Vince... those were the vids I was referring to plus a couple of others, the presentation casts are really interesting. It was watching some of the vids ages ago that got me playing with a low side cast and thrust... I was then surprised to see thrust covered in JB’s book and the thrust dating back to something like the 1920’s! Be interesting to have some proper instruction using the correct style rod.

Cheers Paul.... no rush, a while before I can buy another rod... the cost of the rod is one thing but the immediately following divorce would be crippling expensive :D But the next rod will either be a shorty or 10’ plus one.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Hurry up with this new rod ,I am not getting any younger. :(
been having so much fun with the HT #4,a lighter line version in 7-8 foot would have me a happy bunny for my river fishing .
VGB

Post by VGB »

Boisker wrote:Hey Vince... those were the vids I was referring to plus a couple of others, the presentation casts are really interesting. It was watching some of the vids ages ago that got me playing with a low side cast and thrust... I was then surprised to see thrust covered in JB’s book and the thrust dating back to something like the 1920’s! Be interesting to have some proper instruction using the correct style rod.
Hi Matt

I’ve just had the odd couple of hours when the fishing has been quiet. It’s not straightforward because of the language, the cast and movement names being in Italian, and the speed that the casts are done at. I’ve been given an exercise of catching the leader on my rod with a tailing cast to practice but as I mentioned before it’s not something that is painless to practice with a long rod. I’ll be having a chat with Malik later today and I’m hoping he’ll come over to fish next year, I owe him some hospitality. I’d like to see him tackle Dartmoor or the Lyn, it should be another school day for me.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
crunch

Post by crunch »

Rod is easy if you have a rod which you don’t like or use anymore building a new handle up the blank and brings new life for it. If original is 9 ft four piece and you use three it comes about 7ft and there comes a need to wrap only one stripper to middle section. Using a two piece rod you can make it longer. A four piece rod is good when it is possible to test how it feels leaving butt and holding from second section but haul carefully because snake as a stripper can ”haul lock”

Esa
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Vince, I was very impressed by Malik’s demo at EWF a few years ago: Paul was there.
I have never taken it on, but have had a couple of years where fishing was not available to me.
I have met a couple of the UK/Massimo school guys: I really should have a closer look but if it requires a new rod, it won’t be for me.

Andrew

Return to “Flycasting”