PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Casting a heavy line with a small versus a big fly

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I really must try this. I have a couple of bricks on string lines in the truck. I’ll dig one out. Might take a couple of weeks because I’m down in KL next week.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
ACW
Answers: 0

Post by ACW »

Just my take from a Dhanded point of veiw.
with the big Norway 16 footer back in the day I would fish big tubes on short leaders(3 foot) and the wee ones on long (15foot)
with originally DT 11 lines and more recently the Long head Carrons didnt find much difference
Will check it out if conditions are right on the Spey opening week febuary,probably watch the boy doing the heavy heaving and sticck with my scandi heads on a 14 footer .
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
Im not sure if this is much relevant to the initial question, but...and this is from a IMMAGINARY SALTWATER FLY FISHING POINT OF VIEW...
  When I fish in the surf with heavy lines, and to start with heavy fly I focucus on delivering the fly faaar. I dont care about tight loops- i want the fly ( heavy fly) to go far and and not to hit my rod, or my head.
  I always aim to  cast with the line traveling over the tip of the rod, regardless the plain.
  If you practice and you have the idea what a LOOP MORPH is it can be easly done. I dont do much of Belgium cast staf, and swinging the fly around- you want to be efficient, make the loop travel over the rod tip.
  Now, back to the title question...
When I start in the surf with a heavy fly, I adjust my drift to avoid kicking on the end of an urnoling loop, I open my loop etc...
  Next I have to change from heavy 2/0 clouser to a small light surf candy , but still using the same heavy rod/line set up. All I do is one cast to see what adjustments I have to make in my casting.
 I notice than I can hit it even harder with lighter fly,  as there is no significant  kick of the fly on the unroling loop, and there is less danger of hiting myself,or the rod.
  I am still carefull when I cast it ( we are talking Rio Leviathan 400grains), as the line it self traveling fast can cut your head off if it is of the right tracking.
  WHATEVER YOU CAST, KEEP YOUR TRACKING RIGHT AND MAKE THE LINE TRAVEL OVER THE ROD TIP.

With the intermedium fly line, I dont notice much difference between fly weight.
  Point is CASTING HEAVY SET UP- OPEN YOUR LOOP.
  This video of mine might be helpfull.
https://youtu.be/xQvYk2NrEEQ

Cheers
Mike
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Thomas,

I have noticed similar when casting a Sci Angler Anadro line - not as aggressive as your Pike taper, but with similar intend. Scaled down probably best describes it. It has some extra wgt. that is pushed upfront. I was fishing gurglers with it for Sea char in Greenland - Fantastic choice for such. I was happily surprised, giddy at times with it's ability to cast larger and larger air resistant gurglers. It got to be a game of sorts: ''How big a gurgler can this line (6wgt. on a 6 glass rod) handle? And how large of a gurgler will the char eat? " It felt better and better as the fly got larger. Felt more 'normal'. It all climaxed with a tube popper, one a friend had tied for me, for GTs.

Giddy Craig
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hello everybody,

I have since my initial post repeated this " experiment" a couple of times and I noticed the same thing everytime. With a big pikefly - it is not the weight that is relevant, its the "bulkiness" - the setup feels perfect and It casts very well. With a small fly I really have to be careful and delicate as the line feels very heavy for the rod.

I should perhaps also say that I am very comfortable with soft rods. I have practiced regularly with an old G-series for over 10 years so its not like I'm completely useless with the combination of a heavy line and a soft rod.

Cheers Thomas
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Agreeing with Lasse here...

The big fly is an 'energy suck'. The fly's attributes finish the system as designed - a balancing act.

It's the tail on the kite, or kite on the tail... :D
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

easterncaster wrote:Agreeing with Lasse here...

The big fly is an 'energy suck'. The fly's attributes finish the system as designed - a balancing act.

It's the tail on the kite, or kite on the tail... :D
:D You don't know how right you are! With the small fly (the kite) I was actually fighting the tails! And I don't throw tails very often. :)

Cheers

Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Tail of a kite works for me, but why does it “feel lighter”?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Maybe the fly provides lift, lifting the heavy line like a small bird picking up a large stick and flying off... :glare: :whistle:

Merlin, help !!
George C

Post by George C »

When dragging a large wind resistant fly, wouldn't the line speed slow more quickly so by the end of the backcast the line might be carrying less momentum (or have transferred less momentum to rod leg tension) when the caster starts forward........and might this result in a lighter "feel" (at least for the same amount of carry)?

Or, is more carry possible with a lighter, less wind resistant fly? If so, then perhaps the OP is carrying more line with such casts and feels this increased load as a result? And mightn't a longer carry also increase the likelihood of backcast slack and thereby increase the likelihood of a tailing loop?

Return to “Flycasting”