PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Platform, or No Platform

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao
In some comps on the grass platforms are set for the casters to cast from( square 1.5mx1.5m ).
Should the caster have a choice to cast from the platfom, or form the ground?
Personaly I dont feel comfortable on a small platform...

Cheers
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi mate,

It wouldnt bother me if the option was given. I find it easier to sight with a small elevation so I don’t think it’s an advantage at all to take the platform away. I do try to practise from different elevated positions.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Platform, or No Platform

Cool.
For me 1.5m x 1.5m is a bit small, I cant concetrate on me body movement and line managmet.
90% of my thoughts during a casting stroke is how not to fall down, not how to cast
Mike
Dung Fly

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Dung Fly »

Never been a fan of casting from platforms (always unstable), I asked at the 2009 WC's in Czech Republic if I could cast from the ground and was informed that only casts made from the platform would count.
Needless to say that my distances reflected the fact that I prefer to cast from the ground rather than an unstable platform with my 15st frame perched on it.
Michal Duzynski

Platform, or No Platform

Weird...
It should be allowed, as by casting from the ground you would give more chances of winning to the casters casting from the elevated position, so it should be your decision.
Maybe petition to ICSF ha ha ha, to change the rules, or make bigger platforms.
The one in Cumbria were briliant.
Mike
John Waters

Platform, or No Platform

Post by John Waters »

Not good for the casting games in Oz.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Maybe petition to ICSF ha ha ha, to change the rules, or make bigger platforms.
The one in Cumbria were briliant.
Mike
Rather, petition to move it closer to fishing, and have us all stand in two feet or so, of water :cool:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

Platform, or No Platform

Who knows.
Maybe one day....

Anyway if platform( 1.5mx1.5m) is a must I will do my best, but wont concider it as my top performance.

On the other hand, I am scared of hights, and swinging my body with 170 style on a small square 0.5m above the ground makes my brain works on a different level.
What Im focusing on during the cast is how not to fall down, instead of how the cast go.
Plus line managment is shit...
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Paul Arden »

Thought this was accuracy. Didn’t realise it was distance. Yes platforms cartainly work against those who step. In that regards I find them a little unfair. I don’t step any more (usually) but I wouldn’t want to beat someone simply because he couldn’t.

I often cast distance standing on my boat. Here if I step I’ll go swimming. I have fallen out the boat once but that was while mooring, not casting.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dung Fly

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Dung Fly »

My advice (for what its worth) practice as much as a you can on a platform if you intend to compete.

Little things like how you transition on/off the platform, how you lay your running line out, your position on the platform during the cast, how to maximise the additional 50cm in height, step or no step - it all adds up to either more distance or issues that become demons during your 6 or 7 minutes of competition.

Return to “Casting Sport”