PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Off Shoulder horizontal curve

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Morsie
Answers: 0

Post by Morsie »

Has anyone filmed from overhead an off shoulder curve cast (to the right obviously, unless you're sinister then its going the other way). I can't work out exactly what I need to correct in order to prevent the line from clipping the tip of the rod on the presentation cast?
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I corrected mine by making sure my tracking was correct. I had to aim my back cast more to the left than I was.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

There are quite a few ways of executing this cast. The easiest is with a close to horizontal rod plane http://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/overpo ... urve-cast/

If the line is hitting the rod try a lower backcast and a inclining trajectory on the forward cast. This way the line should travel through below the rod tip. If you are using pull-back at the end of the Casting Stroke then pull slightly upwards to move the tip out the way.

Another way to play around is to try to hit the rod tip with the line on the opposite (dominant) side to see what you are doing differently. As always going right side, going left side, going right side etc is good training. This is one cast that is far easier in many ways using the opposite hand because the wrist doesn’t work as well off-shoulder. I usually turn the hand over so that the thumb is underneath the grip, alternatively I lock the wrist.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

Hi Peter,

I only cant the rod 45 ° to the left for that.
https://vimeo.com/82492137

R.M. makes a circle over the head, to get to the other side, from 6:43min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfxEBtffkbw

Or I cast the "Svirgolato" to the right, but it's a completely different technique.

Cheers,
Thomas
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Thanks guys, just one of those things to work on so it happens none of the time instead of some of the time. Thomas I use that same curve as RM when I want to curve to the right, I got there via the corkscrew but its evolved from there.It produces a very neat and consistent layout.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.

Return to “Flycasting”