PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

1/2WT heavier lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

What you need to do is take 10 PUALDs with each outfit at max speed and time the result!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by VGB »

How did you time it Paul and what results did you get?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:What you need to do is take 10 PUALDs with each outfit at max speed and time the result!
Over water or grass, what lineweight, what length, shot or no shoot, and what where your results?
Post the data or it didn't happen ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve just thought of it! That’s one of the tests I’ll be doing this week. At least now we can all get on the same page.

Over water. Let’s use a six weight line. 10m of flyline out the tip? I’ll have Ashly time it. I’ll use 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 WT rods.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by VGB »

Paul

I’m getting confused by what you are proposing. From this, I took it that you were picking up 2m of line and shooting to 10m on the back cast:
Paul Arden wrote:Hi I’m quite sure that from two metres of flyline on the water you and I can shoot to 30ft on the very first backcast (fly in hand is more difficult and you need an extra half stroke at least) The question is does one rod shoot more or less than the other? I’m not sure but I think the stiffer rod will shoot more.
From your front page, you are slipping in the lift:
How much fly line should be on the water to begin with, where to slip line on the lift
I tried a pick up of 2m, then shooting into the back cast with a Loop Cross S1 #6 and a #6DT, then compared it to a #5 GT125 and #4 GT90 on the same rod. It was easiest for me with the #6DT. Perhaps you should video your test, so that we can see what you are actually doing.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

James9118

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote:I’ve just thought of it!
Cheers, Paul
Try looking back at post 7 of the "Thinner lines = higher speed" thread in technical analysis :D :D :D

It would be good to get a number of participants in this sort of test.

Cheers, James.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

Of course Vince, you are comparing lines and not rod stiffenss and for the slipped lift. I wasn’t going to ask anyone else to compare the slipped lift, only PUALD which I know every instructor will be an expert at.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep that was a false casting cycle James. I’ve been meaning to so that one too!

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:Of course Vince, you are comparing lines and not rod stiffenss and for the slipped lift. I wasn’t going to ask anyone else to compare the slipped lift, only PUALD which I know every instructor will be an expert at.

Cheers, Paul
Okay, so we are looking at PUALDs with a single line weight and multiple rods? I think James’s post 7 makes more sense.

Regards

Vince

Walter

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:What you need to do is take 10 PUALDs with each outfit at max speed and time the result!
At what distance?

Shooting, slipping or just PUALD with a fixed line length? These are two different things.

Timing all 10 casts as a single set or timing individual casts and taking an average? If as a single set are you going to come to a full stop after each cast? If individually timed how did you decide on 10?

I think I know the answers to most of the above but maybe you should video this so everyone does the same thing.

Floating line or does it matter?

What about different tapers?

What type of fly?

Over water - from a boat? Sitting or standing? Can the water be frozen? :D

What about the accuracy issue? How will you take that into account?

All of these things could affect your results. I’m sure there are other things to consider as well but this is the short list. :D
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.

Return to “Flycasting”