PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Casting Sport Competition Training

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

now wish I’d learnt open first as the transition would have been easier between styles.
When do you use open stance, Vince?

The way I look at flycasting is that there are four main disciplines; distance, accuracy, Speys and Presentation casts. I would argue that because closed stance helps keep the shoulders squarely aligned to the target and it is the most useful style for all the disciplines apart from Distance.

The only other time apart from distance when I teach open stance is when it’s appropriate to watch the back loop. However in a fishing situation watching the back loop when trying to execute anything other than a blind distance cast is generally unhelpful. So even if I use it to establish loop control, I get the caster to switch back to closed and have the confidence that his/her backcast is doing what it should when he/she is not watching it. The problem can be of course when not watching it they forget about it :p But they have to learn to remember!

Generally when it comes to open stance I would make this switch for distance casting. However a tight closed stance with a fast haul is effective to over 100ft, so even for “fishing distance” casts the closed stance is very effective. Often I see CI candidates switching to Open for the 75’ cast, and while this can make life easier it’s not necessary and can and often does introduce a world of tracking problems.

Ultimately I would hope that any student will learn Closed, Open and Oval styles. In my experience the vast majority of self-taught casters who come to me for their first ever lesson all cast using open stance and have never even tried closed. They all have tracking issues.

Contrary to what you may think, I think you are fortunate to have begun with closed stance!

Cheers. Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Paul

If you don’t watch your back cast on small overgrown streams, you are going to spend an awful lot of your time picking your fly out of trees, there’s few places for a conventional overhead cast. I also now use an open stance for distance, saltwater and pike fishing. Before this year, I generally used a fairly rigid closed stance for overhead casting because that was how I’d been taught, closed may reduce tracking errors when you are learning to cast but it leads to tails as the learner tries to add distance by themselves. Tracy’s distance style is unique, it’s beyond me and I found my distance casts have become more consistent with an open stance.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
sms

Post by sms »

When the Baltic is not frozen I train on average about 2 times per week, average about 2h each time. That is spey with 15 footer and I haven’t trained anything else really in more than ten years, except the occasional 18 spey a few years back.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I think accuracy is easier to maintain or achieve initially with a closed stance, the typical dart style pretty much guarantees you’ll cast in line with the target, you then just have to get the distance right...
But I find I can be just as accurate with a more open/neutral stance... if I am casting under the tip/side arm to be really accurate it feels as though I point the tip right through the end of the cast to the target.
I fish many streams the same size as Vince... so under the tip is something I use loads, arse pushed tight into the bank, kneeling, casting up through an overhanging tree tunnel.... love it :yeahhh:
VGB

Post by VGB »

Yep, same stuff Matt, knife fight ina phone box :D I was even laying on my back with legs in the stream, casting a mayfly to a rising fish last season. I’m not sure how that stance is classified :D

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Hey Paul... no I haven’t tried the finger/cradle grip (i assume you mean on the forward cast), I’d already started trying the change of grip you use for the backcast, but had been using thumb on top for the forward, I’d forgotten the grip you use in the forward, so will give it a try in a few weeks...

Vince... don’t think it has a name... but I have found myself doing similar...
perhaps we could call it the ‘tarts’ cast :D

This is a more open stretch of the Wraxall I fish regularly..

And one from late last season... first visit.. Edw in Wales... water painfully low, which had made many pools/ riffles unfishable... so heading back earlier this season...
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Matt

“Tarts cast”. :D The Edw an Clettwr have been on my “to do” list for far too long, this is my home stream:

https://www.wellowbrookflyfishers.co.uk/about/

Regards

Vince

Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Looks like a great river Vince, what length rod do you use there?
VGB

Post by VGB »

I’ve used 5’ glass to 8’ carbon Matt but 7’ is probably the most utility. It’s best early season but I fish in the tunnels when everyone is having bbq in their gardens. You are more than welcome to come up for a paddle any time.

Regards

Vince

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

IMG_20190120_153301_399.jpg
Made this knot on the platform in my four minutes of casting due to a huge tangle in Cumbria at the last world championships. Got the gear out for the first time since today for a short one hour session. Guess that answers how much I practice :blush:
In all fairness, I was waiting to be injury free and back in poor shape before doing any distance practice :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Casting Sport”