PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Nylon or fluorocarbon?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Boisker
Answers: 0

Nylon or fluorocarbon?

Post by Boisker »

Undoubtedly a lot of it is marketing...
I’m really not sure that most of the claims make any real difference... certainly for brown trout...
I generally fish 5 or 6X nylon... I vary which brand as like most flyfishers I can’t resist trying knew options... I currently have Rio again, next time probably back to stroft... although I may give trouthunter another whirl :D

But I’ve always found good presentation, solid knots and not trying to skull fuck it across the river always work whatever the nylon
And if I lose a fish or break off it’s down to ‘driver’ error....
sms

Nylon or fluorocarbon?

Post by sms »

I use nylon. That is for trout (when I still fished for it), salmon, bonefish, tarpon and tuna. I have FC, but O have not had line failure where FC would have saved me. The knot strength is crap with at least thick FC.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Nylon or fluorocarbon?

Post by Paul Arden »

In 6 and 7X I use samurai tippet material which I can only find in the smallest tackle shop I’ve ever been in. It’s not much bigger than a phone box and is on the banks of the Ribnik. I have also used both Stroft and Rio. I have found myself tying Biminis in 7X!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Nylon or fluorocarbon?

Post by Graeme H »

I use both but rarely segregate based on material type. Some nylon is good, some is not. Some FC is good, some is not.

When I find something good, I use it until I find something better.

(Now I need to give black braid a try.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lou Bruno

Nylon or fluorocarbon?

Post by Lou Bruno »

Tried FC, not a fan. Most of my fishing is in the salt, shallow flats. I've been using "hard mono,"
for my tippet. Manufacturers have provided other options besides FC.

Lou
tomo

Nylon or fluorocarbon?

Post by tomo »

Used almost every brand of fluro here in NZ, some of which is particularly crap.. silly thin diameter and average knot strength. Over the past season Ive gone back to nylon - knots much better, durable, and 100m spools, and the fish can't tell the difference. $0.08c/ meter vs $1.40/ meter !

Cheers, Tom.

Return to “Tackle”