PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Tropics

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

The Tropics

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s funny, the longer I spend here the colder it feels. I’m going to have to start using a sleeping bag in the evenings - I’ve been using a fleece blanket and was bloody freezing last night. This morning I’m wearing the SL Hoodie - which you don’t know about yet - but I think I need a down jacket and woolly hat. Both of which I have at home.

Ah - just checked the weather. It *is* getting colder. Was 20C this morning. No bloody wonder.

Still, waking up with the cold before dawn was interesting. About 15mins before first light the clouds came over. I assumed this was the sun heating up the land before it reached here, and sending vapour up. And then the pressure difference pushing it forwards (wind) to get here before the sun. However the clouds came in from the north so it’s not that simple :p

I’m sure Graeme will know :) or if he doesn’t he’ll make something up :p

Right - going fishing!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

The Tropics

Post by Graeme H »

Nah, I don't know what was happening there. You need to get up early more often and give us more observations. (Does it happen every morning? Only on days you wear the SL Hoody? :) )
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

The Tropics

Post by Paul Arden »

It happens often, but not this morning. The wind always appears just before first light however and stops around 9am. It’s just this morning it didn’t bring in any low cloud. I’m dead centre peninsular mainland, so it’s not coastal.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

The Tropics

Post by Graeme H »

Dew point is important. That's the pressure and temperature conditions under which the moisture in the air will condense out to form clouds.

Rising air will expand, lowering both its temperature and pressure, so moist air being blown up a hill on a cold day will often form low clouds on the hillside (or hill top.) Air that had no clouds but lots of moisture at lower levels (i.e. the bottom of the hill) will form clouds in the mountains.

I don't know why you get winds before sunrise though. Some sort of local event.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

The Tropics

Post by Paul Arden »

I was thinking it had to do with heating landmass. But maybe it’s happening too fast. It is every morning however - without fail. And it’s never windy before this. Starts about 15 minutes before sunrise. What I’m not sure about is if the direction is always the same and/or whether it is for 1/2 the year and reverses for the other 1/2. I’ll start taking note of this.

Talking of dew point, something I’ve noticed time and again is that when a large moon disappears over the horizon everything immediately gets wet. I tried researching this on the Net but couldn’t find what any explanation.

Not my field at all :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

The Tropics

Post by Graeme H »

Can you actually see the sunrise from where you are? Or has it risen a bit earlier and you're only seeing it as it comes over hills to the east of your lake?

Just wondering if the sun is hitting a slope on the other side of a hill, warming that air enough to get it moving up the hill.

Got me beat though.

(What's the name of your lake hideout again? I'll check it out on Google Maps.)
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

The Tropics

Post by Paul Arden »

Belum-Temenggor. Nope but the sunrise is so fast that wouldn’t count. Hey when are you coming over by the way? :D

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

The Tropics

Post by Graeme H »

Trying to make it work for July or August. Bloody hard with all the other things happening in my life (mostly work - which sucks!)

There is a prevailing easterly all around the peninsula and that range of mountains to your east always has a bit of easterly wind on it (according to windytv.com). I have no idea why you're getting an increase in wind 15 minutes before the sun rises though.

You might get some clouds forming on Sunday and again on Friday next week, which looks like a cold morning for you (18˚C). Generally speaking, the dew point there is ~1˚C less than the coldest overnight temperatures.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

The Tropics

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great I’ll be here July through to about third week in August. Then I’m off to Europe for a month or so. July-August is free-risers. You’ll love it! I think my mate Tonio is here for most of August. But I have two boats so all good!

Easterly mornings, northerly afternoons. Later in the year all winds seem to be in front of thunderstorms!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Manshit”