PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tasmanian wilderness no more.

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It was very disappointing to be sent the link today from a great mate down in Tasmania. https://theconversation.com/green-light ... ice-104854

That’s such a shame to read because the Western Lakes was quite a magical place and truly wilderness in every sense.

“Daddy, what was it like when there was wilderness?”
“Well son, despite wilderness areas becoming so small they started to feel like being in a park, it was still a remarkable experience, not least because there were no helicunters.”
“Wow! No helicunters?”
“That right son, the constant droning sound, like some barstool cutting his lawn all day, didn’t exist back then! As soon as you hear that sound you know you may as well be fishing next to a motorway.”

Still the good news is someone will be making some money somewhere. And that’s all that matters nowadays.

It’s interesting. It doesn’t matter for how far, or for how many days you’ve walked. Even in the most remote places with no tracks. As soon as you hear the sound of a helicunter the magic spell is broken.

I really believe there needs to be places like this. Places where you can truly get away from it all. There is no other feeling like it. Money can’t buy that feeling but it can certainly destroy it. You may as well just stick a motorway right through the bloody lot. :( :(

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad
Answers: 0

Post by Geenomad »

Yes and even more "disappointing" since it's not the first time developers have tried to get heli flights into the World Heritage Area. Seem to remember the last attempt crashed and burned back in the 1990's.

More here. https://www.examiner.com.au/story/58579 ... r-comment/

Council permission is yet to be received and will be less secretive (sneaky) than the state and federal government approvals.

Everyone knows Lake Malbena is just the thin edge of the wedge and there is big opposition from anglers, walkers and conservation groups. It is not a popular idea.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s one of those things that really makes me angry, no doubt because I’ve spent so much of my life trying to get away from the bastards. It’s because it’s a wilderness area and because it’s protected that they want to build huts there and fly people in. You just can’t make this stuff up. :(

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Yup.... it’s all about the $... people hiking in carrying what they need just don’t generate enough :(
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Yeah. It's about mindless consumption of the resource and remoteness is the primary resource; the fantasy that you are fishing virgin water and an understandable belief that by walking in you have earned (legitimately) the right to solitude. I wouldn't try doing what I used to do alone 30 years ago but I am buggered if I want roads built so I can drive in with my 4WD. Helicopters? Fuck off.

It reminds me a bit of when streets with character get bought up by developers who up the rent and lease what used to be Mr. Porcelli's continental deli to an upmarket clothes shop. It gets trendy, loved to death and inevitably the character is extinguished. Then what?

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

By all accounts NZ is pretty much screwed now in this regards. It was the end of the end for me when Ronan and I walked into a West.Coast wilderness no-fly zone (The Ugly) only to find three anglers who had flown in (one was obviously a guide). That was ten years ago.

I feel very lucky to have had a great 20 year run at it. I feel sorry that it’s a thing of the past and would love that others had the same opportunities that I had. I see that the same will happen in Western Lakes. I don’t think there will be any wilderness fishing left for the next generation. We’re going to go down as the generation most remembered for fucking the planet.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Next generation probably won't be allowed to fly at all, if they want to have any land to live on... So there's that :glare:

I think we can safely take the generations just before us in that screw up to be honest!

Fuck

Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Technically I suppose we could shift the blame but that doesn’t make me feel much better :p

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Trouble is we are all guilty as charged in terms of wrecking the environment... or at least the vast majority of us are.
I remember flying back from hols in Goa and a work colleague pointed out that 3 weeks into the new year I had already used all my carbon allowance for the year if we were living in a 1 earth scenario!
A bit depressing.... I like travelling and would like to do more... it’s a long walk to Goa from here and a helluva swim to NZ :whistle:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Technically I suppose we could shift the blame but that doesn’t make me feel much better :p
Me either, but the hole in the ozone layer was there when I was born, so not taking that on me, and the depletion of fishstocks and rape of nature too..
Still admitting being part of the problem is the start.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Daily Planet”