PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How to cast a tailing loop ‘on command’

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Funny, in your video, when you present the nice false casting and then tail either its
- creep
-breaking 180°
- narrow arc
To throw the tail you hit harder on delivery then your false cast, slightly, but harder.
Does it mean that all causes of tail comes down to inapropiet aplication of power in the forward stroke?
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep it’s not a perfect demonstration! However I would agree that all tails - in fact all faults - resolve down to improper application of force. We just separate them for teaching purposes.

Flycasting is about applying force to line. You either applied the force properly of you didn’t.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Cool
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Just out of interest, I would like for people to try using a tailing loop to collapse line into a 2m diameter ring. Which cause of tails gives you the most consistent results?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Michal Duzynski wrote:Cool
It was a conversation Bill, Rick and I had down at Rick’s place many years ago. It was Rick’s thing and you can’t beat it :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

I thought - incorrectly - that in the CI exam I should be able to reproduce all classic cases on command: power spike, creep, narrow arc due to early stop. So I learned them all.

The easiest way for me to learn was to first cast so that I could easily see the result myself every time. To do this, I cast horizontally on grass and experimented with all three forms. When I got the feel, I switched to vertical casting.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

So much easier once i’d watched the vid...
Partic like the casting out of plane for a curve.... I already did that to curve cast to the right (i’m Right handed) but had never associated with it being a tailing loop :D
Very cool... I like that :yeahhh:

Also easier to do with creep and shortened casting stroke after watching the vid....

I’ll have another play later...
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Jarmo,

I think nowadays at CI you have to be able to demonstrate two causes that you might commonly see when teaching.

Cheers, Paul

Edit; no you need to be able to demonstrate three causes
The candidate will perform a demonstration of a tailing loop and its correction from one of three common actions by a caster that induces tailing loops. The examiner will select the one to be demonstrated.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:Hi Jarmo,

I think nowadays at CI you have to be able to demonstrate two causes that you might commonly see when teaching.

Cheers, Paul

Edit; no you need to be able to demonstrate three causes
The candidate will perform a demonstration of a tailing loop and its correction from one of three common actions by a caster that induces tailing loops. The examiner will select the one to be demonstrated.
So very true, that is in the teaching section! In the performance section the candidate can choose. My recollections of taking the test are a bit hazy, I did not remember that. Now I am even more glad I learned them all. :D
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Boisker,
in my lessons I see tailings done by:
A) Floppy wrist leading into a too uneven force application for the rotation.
B) Too uneven force application for the rotation in order to compensate things like early rotation during unrolling not leaving enough arc left, too open loops making it hard to wait for the line to unroll or missmatching line speed.
C) Too uneven force application by the hauling hand.
D) Too bad timing of the hauling hand movements.
Bad timing in general, uncontrolled slack line and not having the urolled line matching trajectory for the next cast all can make it worse!
Regards
Bernd
P.s.: I am still waiting for a first student to show a too small arc in general. In fact I see more of the opposite quite often.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Flycasting”