PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly lines cracking

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Fly lines cracking

Post by bartdezwaan »

I always found that my fly lines crack pretty quickly.
Since I changed to the 170 style it is just insane. All my fly lines have cracks in it after casting under 10 hours with them.
Recently I put on a new MED and after casting it only two times, I can already see it cracking.

I am experiencing this with all fly lines of different brands.

Are you guys also experiencing this?

Cheers, Bart
Lee Cummings

Fly lines cracking

Post by Lee Cummings »

Are casting over water?
bartdezwaan

Fly lines cracking

Post by bartdezwaan »

No, over grass.

Cheers, Bart
Graeme H

Fly lines cracking

Post by Graeme H »

Are you dressing and lubricating your lines? I think the stress put on the line with the wire guides and friction is a large factor in the limited life of lines.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Mine rarely crack and I think that's because I use guides with SiC inserts throughout. I have no proof of that though, since I only have one rod with traditional wire guides to compare with.)
FFi CCI
bartdezwaan

Fly lines cracking

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Graeme,

Yes, I always put lubricate on my lines.
I am using the HT#10 and think, if anything, the tortzite guides are easier on the fly line then snake guides.
Unbelievable yours hardly crack. You also practice distance casting with them?

Cheers, Bart
crunch

Fly lines cracking

Post by crunch »

If it is the rear taper section which runs in guides when hauling you can replace it using ”tournament shock leader”. They are nylon which tapers are very long up to almost 30ft and come on spool which has five and cost usually ten euros or less. Shops which sell shore fishing gear have them. They wear out as well but last few good sessions. Few years ago I was able to practice casting almost 70 ft Barrio GT125 shooting head.

Esa
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Fly lines cracking

Post by Paul Arden »

Since I’ve been using Shoot on the lines very regularly, not just before or after but during sessions, I get longer out of lines. Normally I’ll get 3 weeks out of a distance line, but if it’s muddy then I’ve had them die on a long weekend. With Torzites, shoot and casting over water a fly line will last me 3-6 months of fishing waters with algae. NZ I would get a full season out of a line with other rings (but then it would be buggered). Algae and no shoot used to give me 4-6 weeks with a floating line and 3 weeks with a HiD off gritty banks. Casting Sport is harder on lines.

Mind you I consider a line to be cracked after bits of plastic have come away and will use it until this happens. The actual cracking will have occurred earlier. I’ve just checked my Tropical MED5. No cracks yet.

10hrs is on the low side. I would expect something like 40-50 hrs. Maybe you should go back to your old style?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Fly lines cracking

Post by bartdezwaan »

crunch wrote:If it is the rear taper section which runs in guides when hauling you can replace it using ”tournament shock leader”. They are nylon which tapers are very long up to almost 30ft and come on spool which has five and cost usually ten euros or less. Shops which sell shore fishing gear have them. They wear out as well but last few good sessions. Few years ago I was able to practice casting almost 70 ft Barrio GT125 shooting head.

Esa
Thanks for the tip Esa. I will check it out.

Cheers, Bart
bartdezwaan

Fly lines cracking

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul Arden wrote:Mind you I consider a line to be cracked after bits of plastic have come away
I consider it cracked, if I see cracks :p . Will keep on using it however, else it will become very expensive.
Paul Arden wrote:Maybe you should go back to your old style?
You wish!

Cheers, Bart
clayed21085

Re: Fly lines cracking

Post by clayed21085 »

I'm not entirely sure if anyone else uses this procedure as far as cracks, but I use UV expoxy as a temporary fix, it'll last quite awhile farther down the running line but around the head a new crack will usually form again around it in a few weeks. The gortex UV repair or loon Uv will work and takes seconds to cure. This is fastest fix, the ultimate fix is purchasing a heat gun and some clear surgical tubing, stripping some old plastic off another fly line and putting it between the tubing and where the crack is and heating to melting point, but please watch tutorial online as I've never personally done this.

James

Return to “Tackle”