PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

March Challenge

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

March Challenge

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok here’s an idea. How about we set a monthly challenge to hone our practise sessions.

How about this for the first challenge, to throw left handed (or right handed for lefties) into a target hoop with a diameter of 180cm at a distance of 100ft three out of five attempts. Line must be a AFFTA5.

I think I can do it. But it would be quite funny if I can’t :D

Let’s say you can have one attempt per day. And you need a witness.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker
Answers: 0

March Challenge

Post by Boisker »

A bit out of my league Paul :D :D

But out of interest what’s the purpose? (not that it needs one.... “because we can” is perfectly acceptable!)

As it’s casting with the wrong hand it’s not really comp related....so is it a more fishing related practice?
Or just be because you can?

But seems a bit arbitrary to me.... 180cm target at 100’ with wrong hand isn’t much use as the target is to big for any fishing use...

what’s the furthest you can land a ‘wrong’ handed cast into a 60cm target 3 out of 5 attempts is more useful for me....

Ps.... wrong hand in a 60cm target is way, way less then 100’ for me, at 3 out of 5 attempts i’d settle for 50’ at the moment :D
Boisker

March Challenge

Post by Boisker »

Just realised you posted in the sport section...
so ignore the above :D
bartdezwaan

March Challenge

Post by bartdezwaan »

That's very challenging Paul.
I am not even sure that I can cast 100ft left handed, but am in for giving it a shot.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

March Challenge

Post by Paul Arden »

What is the purpose is a very good question! I don’t think there is one. I’m often asked why do I fly fish and I really don’t know. I just see it as a bit of fun for those who enjoy challenges.

I do know that the more you raise your game in général (fly casting) the more stuff you can make under pressure (fishing shots). But this particular challenge is because we have two board members with tennis elbow in their casting arm and I know that this is a very tough (but possible) challenge.

There are a lot of “challenges” in the Sexyloops Essential Level. We’ve had quite a lot of interest from clubs but still no one taking this test. I’m now looking at the higher levels. :D

Right must go fishing. Back later!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

March Challenge

Post by James9118 »

I'll see how far I can actually cast left handed first - bear in mind that I wont be hauling either, so 100ft with the wrong hand, non-hauled with a #5 may be a tough ask :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

March Challenge

Post by Paul Arden »

I think 180 cm is actually not a bad target Matt. It’s not a money shot but it’s in the game. It depends what you are fishing of course. Anyway my targets have a 60cm ring as well, so Il try to aim for that :D I would like to think that with Snakehead tackle off the right that I could make that happen. I would certainly expect to be inside 180 with most shots. However what I would like to think is often not reality :cool:

I have guests coming mid-March onwards. I’ll bring the rings and tape measure down to the lake. It will be interesting!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

March Challenge

Post by Boisker »

180 cm at 100’ with the wrong hand is so far out of my possibilities Paul, I wasn’t questioning how hard that is to achieve... anyone who can do that with the wrong hand is in the very elite of casters.

I sometimes post quickly without making any serious point.... I forget this is sexyloops and the answer is probably “why not” when it comes to madly ambitious casts :D
In part I think that comes from where I fish.... small rivers / streams... so if/when I landed a fly 3/4 of a metre from where I was aiming you definitely hear colourful language... it would probably mean the fly was in a field or tree :laugh: ...... but safe to say that cast wasn’t made with the wrong had 100’ away :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

March Challenge

Post by Paul Arden »

Of course :D and I very much doubt you’ll even need to cast 100ft under such circumstances! But it’s a doable shot in SW and I’ve watched fish veer 20ft to take a fly. But the challenge is to make it left (or non-dominant!) handed. I think we all know the challenge is possible. I’ll bring down the Accuracy Hoops next week assuming Squeaker makes its way over the hill and back. I blew the head gasket last week. That’s the third time now and the last time I’ll bother having it fixed.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

March Challenge

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I won't need a witness!

I can guarantee right now that I cannot reach 100 feet with my left hand.

And I switch hands easily and often every time I fish or cast.

I look forward to the results!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Casting Sport”