PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Line Database

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Fly Line Database

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll look into how to build a database. How about we measure up lines according to the AFFTA/AFTM system to see how they measure up? I think that this would be very useful information. If you have some measurements then can you post them here please?

I’m most interested in line weight at 30ft excluding level tip (if there even is a level tip). But we can also do head length, total head weight, total line length (stretched) as well as total line weight. We should measure dry lines.

What do you think? Also can any of you recommend a set of decent electronic scales? The ones I have don’t calibrate well for light and heavy.

Many thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Fly Line Database

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Do All of them, and get an average on lines too, as they differ! Total weight makes most sense with a diameter measurement too, as a thicker running line on one batch gives higher total weight. Not many übergeeks measuring evert half meter though ;)

Gonna be one heck of a database if enough contribute!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Fly Line Database

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree. Definitely lines of the same model and weight need to be measured to account for variations. I’ll look into the CCS database as well.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Fly Line Database

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

This article is worth having in mind, and maybe get allowence to use the data as a start?

https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/ ... yers-guide

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Viking Lars

Fly Line Database

Post by Viking Lars »

I will of course contribute all I can to this database (it may even have been my idea a long time ago, in an alcohol fuelled moment by a campfire :-).
I think it's important that we all use the same equipement, and indeed also the same method. For instance, there's a big source for error in weighing 30' of flyline still attached "to the rest" rather than cutting them off. And I suppose not many will be doing that :-).

I had an Excel-sheet with measurement of about 120 flylines, app. 20 different lines. I measured them back when I worked part time in a flyfishing retail store. But that's unfortunately gone - donate know how or where.

Let's get this up and running - it would be really interesting!

Lars
George C

Fly Line Database

Post by George C »

Absolutely you need total head weight/length to make any sense of what you are casting in the real world.

Wouldn't some emails to the tech support depts of the major companies gather this information more easily than weighing hundreds of lines? I know Rio provided me with the 30' and total head weights for all of their Bonefish and Flats pro lines very quickly.
Graeme H

Fly Line Database

Post by Graeme H »

I'm in. I will be happy to contribute as many measurements as I can make.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Fly Line Database

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi George,

Yes both RIO and SA are both very good at providing this information on target weights and this information can be included too. There is a certain amount of manufacturing variation, which I’m not particularly looking to highlight, however it will be interesting to see various manufacturers tolerances. Be that as it may I think such a database of user’s measurements will be very useful. There are plenty of other manufacturers out there who are less forthcoming with information. I think that the AFFTA system is in a mess right now and it would be interesting to see how much of a mess and to be able to circumvent it.

I’ll talk to my web developers and have them look into databases for this sort of information.

I would also be interested to see databases on rod CCS, hook strengths, tippet diameters and breaking strains. I think we can do all of those things.

I agree Lars, that chopping lines may not be ideal, but holding the line not to be measured off the scales seems to be good enough. I can test this by measuring a few old lines by suspending them and then remeasuring after a quick chop.

I would love to see that excel sheet :D

Thanks guys. What measuring devices are you using? I got one through Graeme but when Flavio calibrated it he found inconsistencies between light and heavy. I would like to invest in a decent set of dealer’s scales :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Fly Line Database

Post by sms »

Lars, I do get very close to correct weight via repeating. With 5 times measuring, I do get within 0,1g accuracy.

I use a cheap 0,1g accuracy scale (max 1000g I think). It is quite accurate - I have couple of calibrating weight sets.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
crunch

Fly Line Database

Post by crunch »

I coil the marked length of line and put it to a cup on scale and hold the mark parallel, three inches out of cup rim and keep my hand six inches away same height the cup rim is holding the rest of line and I get very accurate weight readings. When line is stiff there comes a possibility to effect scale reading either pressing line down or lifting up but knowing it it is possible not to cause this error.

Esa

Return to “Tackle”