PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Line Database

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Fly Line Database

Post by James9118 »

Merlin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:14 am And you did not answered the question which is relevant to this thread:
Merlin
Daniel,

This is sexyloops - threads go off topic if you haven't noticed, as such I was commenting on questions raised in previous posts and not the OP. So why have you pulled me up and not several of the preceding entries?

The majority of casters here know how tapers effect casting. For example, most of us can aerialise a TT line from the backing knot and we've all come to the same conclusion that it's not the best way to get distance from it. We've also all made shooting heads and played with overhang and reversing the line etc. We know how to make a line kick like a mule and we know how to delay turn-over. We do this without a need for any in-depth physics because we generally know "thin into fat - slows down" and "fat into thin - speeds up". We also don't need any purely theoretical bollocks telling us what we observe is wrong.

So can I suggest you save your attempts to moderate threads to the technical section, which you and others have killed off due to an inability to take on ideas that actually represent reality, rather than some theoretical construct riddled with observational bias.

All the best, James.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think Merlin raises a pretty good point that most people don’t understand how different tapers work. The MD at Cortland actually told me that tapers were unimportant. RIO brought out a line called the “wind cutter” which has the exact opposite profile that you would want for casting into a wind. The confusion is not restricted to a few casters.

So it’s not a bad idea to have a practical casting page on how tapers affect different casts. However I don’t think that needs to be in the line database but can be a general page with specific line profile examples. For example a TT, an SLX and various Spey lines have a similar profile and all cast similarly.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 am I think Merlin raises a pretty good point that most people don’t understand how different tapers work. ...

So it’s not a bad idea to have a practical casting page on how tapers affect different casts. However I don’t think that needs to be in the line database but can be a general page with specific line profile examples. ...

Cheers, Paul
I think such a page would be a perfect parallel reference page that can be linked to from the Database. For each style of taper we see, put a link to that part of the page best describing the family of lines it most closely matches.

And there really are only a few families of line designs out there, regardless of how the lines have become "species specific". :)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Lee Cummings wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:40 am A reversed TT is not much use, as the back taper (which you wish to act as the front when reversing) is too short and it kicks like a mule.
When I sat my MCI, my examiner Bruce Richards asked me a question, "you're out fishing in a boat, by accident the whole front taper gets cut of in the prop. What do you do? “

Answer is to make your own taper with the leader, but most I ask the same question says go home or take the spare line 😂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Reverse the line and keep fishing - coz you've got a DT line on, right? :D
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Deano did this to me once. He thought it was highly amusing. I just switched to a floater - mind you it wasn't just the front taper he chopped up. :O
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

Ha,

Just take the other ready set and keep fishing. And when you have time (bench turn), rig a new line. When back home, make new front taper to the line.

Learn to splice lines! BTW, anybody know an intermediate heavy monocore line with hard(ish) coating that would have head of 400-450 grains? Even better if longish head. Basically, take Leviathan and have longer & lighter head.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Paul,

Mitutoyo makes some good micrometers,
https://www.mitutoyo.co.jp
You can get them with a data cable; ~200€

For calibration / testing gauge blocks:
https://www.mitutoyo.co.jp/eng/products ... block.html
You can get them also on ebay if you're searching for gauge blocks.

I'll test one of the cheaper chinese ones:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/High-Qua ... 41045.html
Maybe together with a gauge block good enough for line measurement.

You can get scales and calibration weights also on ebay, such as
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Digit ... 3485492590
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Precision-Ca ... 3363686822
sms

Post by sms »

Torsten wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:07 pm I'll test one of the cheaper chinese ones:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/High-Qua ... 41045.html
Maybe together with a gauge block good enough for line measurement.
For soft (compressible) items micrometers are horrible. Do not get a micrometer to measure fly lines. The best is a (digital) caliper that is used so that the line is parallel to the jaws.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

sms wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:43 pm Ha,

Just take the other ready set and keep fishing. And when you have time (bench turn), rig a new line. When back home, make new front taper to the line.

Well, the kicker is you only have the one line, otherwise its a daft question isn't it 😉 just call the line company and have them airdrop a new line is also an option 😂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Tackle”