PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Good budget fly rods

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Good budget fly rods

Post by bartdezwaan »

For fly casting students I would like to have a well balanced rod available which is also affordable.
I don’t feel good about visiting stores, trying loads of stuff and maybe not buying.
Can you guys please give me any suggestions?
Maybe something between €150 - €200.

Cheers, Bart
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Good budget fly rods

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mightely biased, and as such take this with a grain of salt!

Echo base rod.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks Lasse.
I don’t mind if your biased. I trust that it is solid advice.

Cheers, Bart
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I'm biased too. I don't always know where, but I am. :)

I like those Echo rods. I have no affiliation with them, but I've cast a couple and they are as good as many rods that are much more expensive.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Check out the 2nd hand market. At least on the Danish 2nd hand market, you could get Sage TCRs, XPs, Scott S3/S4s etc within that price range. The 2nd hand market has gone bottoms out and prime rods are really cheap, as long as they're not last year's model.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think you need to try each individual model and not simply a manufacturer or range even. For example many years ago the Redstart 9056 was an absolutely fantastic rod. It retailed for 100USD. However some of the other Redstart rods were dogs.

I’ve been considering sourcing some budget rods for friends here in Malaysia who can’t afford a HT. A compete outfit for 100-150USD. I know it’s possible.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

Redington path I feel are exceptional rods here in the US, I believe sage still owns or provides the blanks, I've had a 5 weight for two years now with no complaints.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Sage own Redington and Rio, well technically Far Bank owns them all! The Redington rods are manufactured in Korea.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Bart. The only Echo rod i have tried is the white instructor one in a #5, and this was really nice.

The Fladen Warbird kit isn't too bad, it is a 9' #6 bright orange rod with a very progressive action and quite a slow recovery. Good for beginners to practice a smooth stroke perhaps? It's actually a half decent bit of kit, the line that comes with it is very good, it's like a Barrio GT125. It's not, but it's a nice long belly weight forward. It comes to about £70, depending on where you buy it from. It actually comes with the rod, an ok reel, line, backing and leader all ready to go. Good for beginners, just set it up and tie and fly on.

Have you thought about building your own rod? I have thought about doing this with a Sage blank, maybe the trout LL. I know this is expensive though.

Another option is the Greys GR40 9'#6, it's actually not a bad little rod and i'd happily fish with it. About £100

Cheers

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Kevin P

Post by Kevin P »

Greys GR50 is a crisper quicker rod than the old GR30 and I found the #6 weight 9 foot 6 version very good - now available for bargain prices well under £100 if you shop around internet (I think they might be phasing them out and replacing with GR60).
Kevin

Return to “Tackle”