PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

HT Relook

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

HT Relook

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

I'd be interested to know your thoughts. I think it's time to change the logos on the HT rods. I heard a comment from the USA that "Hot Torpedo" sounds "gay" :p Which I found quite funny - however it's common practise for companies to have different names for the same product around the world (look at cars for example). The name "Hot Torpedo" came from the Spinal Tap movie - my sense of humour and not taking life too seriously...

Anyway I'm looking to simplify the look a little bit. Maybe change the Hot Torpedo logo to a simple HT906. I'm also looking to change the Sexyloops logo to a more simplified Sexyloops logo, probably without the loop. Possibly keep that all on one side and the owner's name on the other for example "SEXYLOOPS HT906". Not sure really, which is why I started the topic :pirate: For customers who choose not to have their name on the rod maybe we have a small SL logo on the opposite side, not the full one (or a fish, or a skull and crossbones, or a flag... all of which have been done!). I'm looking for the understated however, not the overdressed!

The blank will be the same, the fittings will be the same. I might look at different colour whipping options. We also have a few build experiments which I can't tell you about at the moment! Maybe standardise orange whippings on the Instructor rod.

We are thinking of calling this the "200 series", since Lee has built to number 196 - excluding various builds which utilised different numbers and the HT10 series which started from 1. That doesn't include the Hungarian or Trevor's builds either - we're actually on about 400 but that's not the point :p

Naturally for those of you wanting that all your rods look the same we still have plenty of the current labels.

Thank you for any thoughts that you may have! :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: HT Relook

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

The loop is the sexyloops logo, without it, its not SL.. Sorry 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I agree with Lasse on this one. You can do all of the above, but changing the logo would really be a shame.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok so maybe use a similar font for HT906. That’s going to be kinda interesting because I took an obscure font and then distorted it with image editing software. That makes it unique but difficult to redo because I did this 21 years ago and immediately forgot how I did it. :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I only bought mine for the logos! :D

Don't let the American change your sense of humour.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Willy Franzen

Post by Willy Franzen »

American here. Please keep the sexy loop in the Sexyloops logo. I also like the name. There is a very popular rod called the Asquith, so... if “ass queef” doesn’t scare off people who don’t want a rod with a “gay” name, then I don’t think hot torpedo will either.

I think a freshening of the design is a good idea—I never loved the bold SEXYLOOPS PRO. I don’t know if you need to go simpler/more understated though. I’d almost go the opposite direction. This is a rod that should stand out from the rest of the pack. Maybe open it up to the community as a contest?

I’d especially like to see the sexy loop played up in the design. It could be really unique!

Then again, I haven’t bought one so I’m not sure how much my opinion matters. My biggest obstacle was not being able to cast one, though Craig finally let me give his a whirl. So maybe a new look will push me over the edge.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I originally made the Sexyloops logo 21 years ago and immediately forgot the font I used :pirate: However I managed to rediscover the font with some software, so we are playing around with some designs. There are actually quite a few "different" designs out there already picked by a few customers. Italian flags, Stu's skull and crossbones, Shermaine's cartoon fish...
Attachments
ht6_logo_sample.jpg
ht6_logo_sample.jpg (8.82 KiB) Viewed 4033 times

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Personally, I would never change the Sexyloops logo.
The name Sexyloops Hot Torpedo does raise some eyebrows when people ask me what rod I am using.

I think you should add a second lineup which you call Arden HT rods. Just for the delicate souls.
Opel cars did the same with Vauxhall. Some other brands too.

Cheers, Bart
bobtheflounder

Post by bobtheflounder »

bartdezwaan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:46 pm Arden HT
What about the Sexyloops Ardent?

I also like the original name because it is quirky, and the rod will never be a mass market Sage, Loomis, Orvis or whatever so most of the people are purchasing it not because of market hype but because they know you through instruction or through the website.

The one issue could imagine with the Hot Torpedo name would be if you meet one of those people who decide think your worth as an angler is is solely dictated by the cost of your fly fishing rods and accouterments :D , but I would hazard that most of your buyers are probably good enough casters to quickly put to rest that notion.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

The HT 9' - 6wt-part should be more of a graphic than just a font, in my opinion.
And just to be different the model could be called 069, which of course might play a little too well into the Hot Torpedo-problem :-).
049, 089 and 109 are less "funny" :blush:

Lars

Return to “Tackle”