PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Best dropper knot

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Best dropper knot

Post by Paul Arden »

No the line won’t spook them. If anything it might attract them :D

But after dark you’ll most likely find the fish close to the surface and/or around the edges. I’d fish a floating line and an unweighted black streamer or surface muddler. I think there is a black marabou lure in your box. That fly has caught more fish for me after dark than anything else. But I stumbled across the muddler about 10 years ago. I don’t do much night fishing for trout nowadays but that would be my go-to pattern nowadays. Failing that, fish them both together!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus
Answers: 0

Post by piffilus »

That's good to hear :)

OK, then I will go for floating line. There are two black marabou lures in the the box. I will try them too then.
Here's the bunnies :)
20190626_214434.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That's great - a bit of action there! :) Incidentally it would be interesting to know the water temperature. Trout shut down when it gets above 20C and a few degrees more than that and they start to turn over. 22/23C is bad news and 25C is pretty much game over for trout. Looking at the weather report for Stockholm I don't think this is a problem for you at the moment. You should carry a thermometer however and record the water temperature throughout the year. On a lake of that depth, and with the summers you've been having, I would expect low 20s in later summer months (unless it's spring fed).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

Cheers mate! There were people swimming last time so I guess it was pretty warm in the water, not necessarily so warm that I would consider having a bath though.... I'll get me a thermometer to record the temp since that's useful data to have. Luckily, it is not as hot this year as it was last year.

The visible spring isn't more than a trickle down in the the lake but I have heard that there are springs out in the lake too but I can't confirm that.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

The lake has an interesting depth chart. I would seriously consider getting a float tube or something similar to fish such a lake, especially with the treelined shore you describe. Get an extraspool for your reel, mount a (monofilament) shootingline and with 2-3 sinking shootingheads you are setup up to explore all the waterdepths of the lake. With a max depth of 5-6 meters, even a slowish sinking line can reach bottom with a bit of patience and a counting exercise.
One thing Iøve found in "my" lakes that are stocked with both browns and bows is that if you want to target browns, you need sinking lines. On "non-rising days" the browns are consistently to be found deeper than the bows.

My setup in the float tube is two rods - one equipped with a medium-belly-length floating WF-line (for dries, emergers and all on or near-surface fishing) and then a rod equipped with a shootinghead setup. One of "my" lakes goes to +16m, so I often fish a type 6 sinker, thin mono shootingline and allow the line a looong time to sink. I know I can get down to 16m, because I've snagged and lost flies. Which incidentally is the only way to get comfortable with your fishing depths. Go for some snags and remember to count down the line and get a feeling for fishing on and near the bottom. being able to fish the entire water coloumn is the only way to consistently catch fish (sequencing, I think Steve Parton calls it).

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sequencing - that's worth a discussion on its own!! How often do you see someone catch a fish and then stop for a coffee and a sandwich? :D Catching one fish doesn't mean it's time for a break, it means it's time to work fast and repeat exactly what you just did (angle of cast, depth and speed of retrieve) and catch as many as you can in the window that's just opened. If you're drifting in a boat the moment you get a take you need to triangulate your position and recall exactly what you were doing to catch the fish - "there are fish here, now I must work quickly" is the thought that needs to go through you head, not "whoopedoo, I've caught a fish, can't wait for the sandwich" :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

I have of course been thinking about getting a float tube, which also brings up the need for waders that I don't have at the moment. But I haven't though about the shooting head setup. I have been looking up prices for said things and the good thing is that I wouldn't have to rely on NASA for pictures of black holes when I could find one in my wallet. It's not a cheap hobby, this.

Should I go for neoprene waders with socks or something like Vision Keeper that are pretty much prized the same? And looking at shooting heads/tips made my head spin, it's all Skagit, Scandi, T-this and T-that. What combination Running line, shooting head and tip would work for the HT6?

Then there's the question of portability of all that gear because I rely on public transport to get from A to B. Lots of stuff to think about here.

Cheers, Piffen
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That all depends on water temperature but I would definitely be buying neoprenes! Maybe Belum where the water temp is 32C I might consider going commando.

With your handy work you could probably make your own float tube, Piffen! It’s not as if you are floating off into the North Sea. The first float tubes were manufactured using truck inner tubes.

But I would buy thick neoprenes and a decent set of fins. Steve Parton used to make neoprene adjustments so that the tuber could have a slash without nipping back to the bank.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

I was down doing some night fishing between Saturday and Sunday and got nothing even though I was on the move. I saw some fish jumping in the the middle of the lake but I couldn't get to them unfortunately. The float tube really seems to be the trick here. Time to save up some money for that. In the meantime I will tie up some more flies to fill up for those I lost to the trees... I filmed the lake at 4 a.m. but I don't know how to embed it so here is a link to it.

https://youtu.be/IXbQIOMe2bc

Cheers, Piffen
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Full editor, next to the box that says 'normal' at the far end is the 'media embed' link. Just click and insert the full URL!
It should look like,

Code: Select all

[media]https://youtu.be/IXbQIOMe2bc[/media]

Your lake looks absolutely beautiful! I personally would fish using a sit-on-top kayak. Is this allowed? Way much more fun. More mobile, less effort. But if it's not allowed than tube it is. If it allowed then something you can fit in a bus. Or maybe an inflatable one, or one hidden in the trees or left locally?

I see some fish rising!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”