PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Best dropper knot

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

piffilus
Answers: 0

Re: Best dropper knot

Post by piffilus »

Thanks Paul, now I get it.

Yes, Sandasjön is a very beautiful place. That's why I choose to fish there. Only float tube is allowed there. The fish you see rising is without a doubt roach. There are quite a lot of them, I know, since I have caught them and mini Perch as well. The latter showed some interest in my bunnies last time there. An uneducated guess is that the insects that can be seen flying is Caenis, they looked like a couple of mm long up-wings anyway.

There is another lake, Nedre Rudan where I can get rainbow trout but it is much less beautiful, much more people fishing and others walking around the lake and all kinds of fishing allowed, bait-, spin- and fly fishing though power bait and smelling compounds are prohibited. There are some jettys that are primarily meant for fly fishers. It is deeper though, more than 10 meters at the deepest part so it might be a bit cooler. I saw today on their site that if you are a member you can borrow float tubes and waders if they are available. That gave me something to think about!

Prices are a bit steeper than for Sandasjön. Membership Nedre Rudan: €70, 24 h ticket:€17, year ticket: €200. For Sandasjön: membership €50, 24 h ticket (member): €7 and year ticket: €100. Decisions, decisions.... I've got membership for Sandasjön this year. But I think I will have a go at Nedre Rudan soon. There will be a couple of days with much needed rain now that may cool the water down a bit.

Cheers, Piffen
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Do pontoon boats count as float tubes, Piffen? My experiences with tubes is that they are hard work.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

No they don't since they use oars and hence counts as a boat, the same with kayak. Only leg powered tubes allowed. It probably is hard work, I've never tried it but I guess it is less hard than the Belum stairs from the hotter parts of hell. Incidentally those stairs made me stronger. The stairs I use daily in my commuting to and from work are much easier for me now :)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Damn. Who the hell makes these damned rules?! I think you need to become best buddies and change his or her mind! :)

In the meantime float tube it is then. Alternatively you can buy one of these for about 10 euros (no oars)...

https://www.sexyloops.com/blog/2009/08/ ... ht-return/

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

Hahaha, I should consider a neoprene suit if I would end up like Ronan. He didn't seem to get very far :laugh:
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I don't find float tubes to be particular hard work, as long as you accept their natural limitations - your reach is limited compared to pontoon boats and kayaks, of course, but still you can get around quite well. The best advice is to find a good compromise between effort and speed, when moving around. Let's say you're paddling at 50% of your capacity (strength and stamina). Another 25% effort won't give you much in terms of added speed.

Take a look at 2nd hand float tube, Piffen. I often see 2nd hand tubes for sale here in DK, and some are quite cheap. Many are reluctant in buying a 2nd tube, but if you can inspect it, and it looks good, there are no problems. Check the outer parts first - heavy wear and use is always easily visible, and if it looks worn, drop it. Inflate it and check that the inner tube is air tight and with no holes. Remove the inner tube and inspect the area around the valve(s) and any seams. If all looks good, go for it. I'd look for one with either an inflatable seat or foam seat that raises you up some - they are much easier to paddle, and more comfortable. In DK a good, 2nd hand float tube often goes for less than 1000 DKK.

Oh - and do get breathable waders. You'll die in neoprenes in a float tube, and since you're paddling more or less all the time, you don't need much in terms of insulation. A semi heavy pair of fleece undies is good for summer use. Hell, in August along the west coast of Denmark, I sometimes float around without waders when fishing for mackerel.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I was forgetting you guys are used to the cold. Truth is you probably won't need waders until the ice starts forming. :laugh:

Me - I still wear neoprene waders when fishing the Pliva in the summer. I wear breathables to keep myself dry when it's raining and neoprene any time I think I might enter the water. The other problem I've always had with breathable waders is that they all leak and then one or both legs fill with water. Splosh, splosh, splosh - what's that noise mum? It's a fly fisherman.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”