PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Weedless Frog

Moderator: Viking Lars

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Weedless Frog

Post by Paul Arden »

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... ed-barrier

Hey Andy,

This is not my design and it’s the first I’ve tried tying it. I have an original in the boat. I can’t remember who gave it to me. It might be from Japan.

The original has rubber legs.

Cheers, Paul
Attachments
1825AF1A-238B-4678-9CC8-314F9969DE53.jpeg
F39B1C15-14B6-47AF-BAC9-2F9B335DDCDF.jpeg
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Re: Weedless Frog

Post by Paul Arden »

Yours doesn’t have to look this good.

Flycasting Definitions
Will
Answers: 0

Post by Will »

These look good. Think the hook patterns are critical.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Excellent flies from Rob Meade there. I've seen many of those Down Under. I could very well be where my frog came from, although its a different tying for sure. I'll dig out the original when I get a chance.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Will

Post by Will »

I tried his Gutless Frog for pike.

I had lots of takes, but none stuck. I was just using straight shank hooks, and suspect that some kind of keel hook design may have worked better. In the end I switched over to standard mouse/gurgler patterns, and got much better hook-ups.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about Hydrilla getting over to your home waters. It has been in Florida for so long I thought it was native. Municipalities spend significant $$$ to control it - much like grass cutting crews for the waterways. The best control has been biological: hybrid "grass carp"... but a manatee is better. Of course, you are not allowed to capture/relocate/confine a manatee.

As for a fly:

I have had good luck with an articulated pencil popper. Insert a tube fly tube through the foam, thread your leader through, then tie on a split ring aft. The split ring has two "hooks": one is only the shank with a clump of bucktail tied to it; the other hook is just plain. The hardware is on the ring so that the hook point faces the bucktail. I find Gamakatsu Mosquito style to work well.

When cast, the bucktail tends to float and the hook then rides below and point up. The fly will track very erratically. Fish (snook, tarpon, bass) all seem to like it and the hookup percentage is as good or better than that of a standard popper.

If the above is not clear I will photo and post.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Please post that photo: it sounds like an interesting fly.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Of course, you are not allowed to capture/relocate/confine a manatee.
You’d also need a bigger tackle box.

Flycasting Definitions
Nick

Post by Nick »

I have had a lot of success with the gutless frog, or a version of it at least. The hook pattern is key, when tied on a plastic worm hook it’s totally weedless and has a reasonable hookup ratio. This is the hook. (https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakat ... GOSWG.html)

I also use a deer hair frog tied on a similar style of hook which works well. Basically all the hair is trimmed off the bottom so that it rides point up.

The problem is that once you have hooked your fish deep in the weeds, it’s almost impossible to get it out with a fly rod.
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

Here's one I do quite well on.
just change the colour for froggyness

Return to “Flytying”