PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Lift force acting on a fly line

Moderator: Torsten

Dirk le Roux
Answers: 0

Re: Lift force acting on a fly line

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Brilliant, Graeme!

Do you think that a similar experiment with same length sufficiently stretchy rubber bands inserted at regular intervals, so that we can see tension, would be feasible? A concern with this idea may be that the fly line may becomes too boingy and therefore not realistically representative?

Best regards,
Dirk
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That's great Graeme! Is this the line you are bringing Snakehead fishing?
Do you think that a similar experiment with same length sufficiently stretchy rubber bands inserted at regular intervals, so that we can see tension, would be feasible
I believe that Lee has something like this.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
IBM

Post by IBM »

👏👏👏
Excellent Graeme.
From a frustrated long time lurker.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Welcome out IBM! :) And thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Thanks too Dirk. I think it might be possible to insert rubber bands, but I believe it might be too much for me to do it. If Lee has something like that already set up, I'd love to see how it goes.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Graeme

Excellent video and I guess the trick was suggested by Vince. Here is another snapshot:
tell tails 1.JPG
tell tails 1.JPG (20.04 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
Our eyes like to see what fits out thinking. Here is another picture from the video. The yellow lines show the tangential direction of “rotation speed” and the blue ones the horizontal direction of the front loop speed (best guess in both cases). The green lines show the direction of the theoretical resulting air flow which cuts the angle between blue and yellow lines in two equal parts. If you look at the two visible tails in the inclined section, the theoretical approach does not look so wrong sometimes.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

As I watch them go around the point of the loop, Merlin, they all are pointing straight up. At the bottom of the loop they often align at a slight angle backwards. I found this very interesting and I think it means that there is some forward movement of the line in the rod leg. From the tracker videos I believe that we have seen this.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Merlin wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:24 am Our eyes like to see what fits out thinking. Here is another picture from the video. The yellow lines show the tangential direction of “rotation speed” and the blue ones the horizontal direction of the front loop speed (best guess in both cases). The green lines show the direction of the theoretical resulting air flow which cuts the angle between blue and yellow lines in two equal parts. If you look at the two visible tails in the inclined section, the theoretical approach does not look so wrong sometimes.

Merlin
I've got a large selection of videos to choose from Merlin. They all show the same thing I've described above. This is a VERY repeatable experiment. Please try it yourself.

The tracking data from earlier casts shows there is no "rotation speed" of any point in the rod leg unless it's a snap cast. The points move forward in the fly leg until they hit the loop, at which point they go straight down in the rod leg (in a tethered cast). Your tangents are things you want to see but aren't really there. If you'd like me to track these tell-tails to show you that, I can do so. Just say the word.

Yes Paul, there is a little forward movement of the line as the cast progresses, so the tell tails lay back somewhat, and even point down as the rod tip bounce travels along the rod leg towards the loop.

(And no, this was my idea. I came up with it after ongoing discussions with Vince, but it was part of a bigger experiment in which the fly line was paired to a 3 metre length of wool. This it the aftermath after the wool was mostly removed. Did you know that dramatically increasing skin and form drag on a Rio Permit line doesn't add any lift to the cast either?)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Tracked Tell-Tails
Tracked Tell-Tails

These are the paths of the bits of wool. What was the theoretical path supposed to look like? Where is a tangent applicable?
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s a truly excellent experiment, Graeme. Thank you!

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks Paul.
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting Physics”